1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Oxidative Stress May Be Target of New MS Drug

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gemini, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

heapsreal likes this.
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    heapsreal likes this.
  3. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    For those interested, here's a little science on how dimethyl fumarate (DMF) may exert its neuroprotective effects :

Effects of dimethyl fumarate on neuroprotection and immunomodulation

http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/9/1/163
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

What I never understood about oxidative stress and disease is the fact, that we already have thousands of anti-inflammatory substances. Most vitamins, minerals etc. are anti-inflammatory. So what's the difference between this new MS drug and other compounds? Does it address a special form of inflammation?
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    What may be different is that it apparently stimulates the endogenous anti-inflammatory Nrf2 pathway.

Some previous discussion on this thread :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...oxidative-stress-increases-glutathione.19228/
  6. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Perhaps Tecfidera and the oxidative stress studies will be discussed at the April 25-6 FDA meeting?
  7. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    Basically, Biogen took a common psoriasis drug in Germany, Fumaderm, and "did something to it" so now they can sell it for fantastically high amounts. This is completely absurd. How they were able to get a patent for this is beyond me. People wonder why Medicare is bankrupting us, and no employers want to provide health insurance.

8. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Yes, could be. I still don't get it however. Most drugs have anti-inflammatory effects. So do we just need a super-anti-inflammatory substance and everything will be fine for most diseases?

See more popular forum discussions.