• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxidative Stress lowering protocols? (Dr. Ben Lynch)

Martial

@PDXhausted

Just realized it was someone else who messaged me, here is my protocol

Bacteria killing- Prima Una De Gato (toa free cats claw, different version of Samento), Samento is just a s good though... Banderol, and Grape Fruit seed extract.

Oxidative support- Resveratrol, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Neuro Protek, and Ribociene (glutathione pre cursor), may add PQQ later on

Inflammation response- Lithium aspartate (for my messed up brain), TheraCurmin, Fermented fish cod oil, source naturals glucosamine chondroitin complex with msm

General Immune system help- Ester C, Vitamin D, reishi mushroom, bio citrate magnesium, Jarrows B right complex.

Methylation protocol- Methyl b12, ado b12, methyl folate, L Carnatine Fumarate.

Also interesting to note for whatever reason I no longer get sick, previous to using these supplements or maybe because I am finally treating the lyme I got sick like 3 times a year and had constant allergies..

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is there a way to lower oxdative stress without mushrooms? I.e. what can you do if you have candida (as many here do, including myself) and high oxidative stress?

Since two months ago I've been taking high doses of vitamin C (1000-5000% RDA), and since last week have introduced vitamin e in mixed tocopherols and tocotreinols. I used to take resveratrol ans Medox, and would take them again.

Martial

@oh_noes I posted some in my last response there are also a million other options, most come in the form of anti oxidants.. Alpha lipoic acid is a big one, and one of the few that can drag out toxicity from within the brain.. though there is a specific protocol to follow for this.. If you do it wrong you could get more mercury in the brain then what was originally planned to reduce in detox.

other things like chlorella, resveratrol is very useful, hibiscus which also supposedly removes ammonia from the body.

@PDXhausted for me, the CBS+/- and NOS+/+. In short, these result in dysfunction of the urea cycle and impaired detoxification, respectively. According to Amy Yasko, anything sulforous isn't converted into sulphate and excreted via the urea cycle, but is turned into toxic ammonia which builds up and causes more problems. ALA (and chlorella, for that matter; as well as Andy Cutler's other recommended chelating agents) are sulforous, so I personally should be avoiding them.

I'm no expert, but I would guesstimate that if you don't have the CBS and/or NOS mutations you're probably in a better place to deal with sulfur. If you only have one of them you may even be OK (but don't quote me on it).

PDXhausted

Oh right, I forgot ALA is a sulfur compound. Thankfully sulfur doesn't seem to bother me, nor do I have those SNPs. ALA has been one of the only things I've found that helps me-- a small dose of it really helps my crash and fatigue symptoms.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@oh_noes
I can find my CBS (2 green one yellow) but not any NOS? on my methylation profile, where will this info be?

@maryb Depends who you got the test from. If you went through Amy yasko, it's all there clearly marked out. However, if you went through 23andme or anyone else, I think you may have to go to Genetic Genie to find an interpretation. Hopefully other forum members can chime in and help. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Martial

Oh right, I forgot ALA is a sulfur compound. Thankfully sulfur doesn't seem to bother me, nor do I have those SNPs. ALA has been one of the only things I've found that helps me-- a small dose of it really helps my crash and fatigue symptoms.

@PDXhausted How do you dose it? I heard there is a certain protocol to use in chelating heavy metal with it. I don't remember the name of the guy, but he mentions using doses at like 25mg every three hours for a certain extended period of time to help heal the system..

ALso he mentions the danger of using ALA without time or consistency in regards to mercury. Stating that if it is done incorrectly the Mercury that it chelates ends up in the brain. I think this is more the case with people that have amalgams though, or if someone eats a TON of tuna lol

PDXhausted

@Martial I believe it is Andy Cutler who does the chelating protocol with low dose ALA. I agree-- there are ways people can be exposed to mercury, but I don't think I'm one of them. Never had a filling, eat some fish, but not alot and tend to go for low mercury types when I do, I don't believe I've had vaccines with mercury (although not 100% sure about my childhood ones from the '80s), and also my mercury was low on a hair mineral test.

So that said, I don't worry about the chelation aspect or follow any one protocol. I'm hypersensitive to drugs and supplements, so for any supplement, I start out with a teeny tiny dose to see how I react, and if it goes ok, I'll increase a little until I see benefit.

I literally take about 1mg of ALA and can feel a huge difference. "Normal" people would probably have to take more. The first time I took it, I got a bit of a flu-ish reaction, but that went away the second and subsequent times.

I get these afternoon crashes that are very hormonally driven, where I feel a lead-weight fatigue in my muscles, and get hypersensitive to sound, light and touch, and feel like my muscles are bruised all over. A little ALA along with some vitamin C can clear this up significantly for me. The vitamin C alone won't do it, but it seems to help when paired with the ALA.

I have had a history of low iron, so for that reason I don't take ALA all the time but just when I start to feel this type of crash coming on. It was kind of by coincidence that I discovered this helped, and I'm not sure what causes the crash or why the ALA helps, but my best guess is that its modulating some kind of neurological inflammation.

Martial

@PDXhausted interesting stuff... Hmm. I actually do know of one infection type that does cause the effects you are mentioning its called Ehrlichia..

It causes multiple chemical sensitivities and food allergy issues due to hyper sensitized nerves, which means they just go off and react to just about anything lol... The crashes seem to correlate as well, sometimes in the case of changes in sleep cycle, or basically an off set circadiac rythym as a result of infection.

What tests have you done for your current health conditions? Have they found any specific bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections?

PDXhausted

@Martial Interesting about ehrlichia... I've not been tested for it, but when I was researching the western blot bands, I noticed that one of the bands I have, 45, can be cross reactive for ehrlichia.

I've not had much in the way of infectious testing done, just an Igenex western blot and a Genova stool test. I would like to get all the Lyme coinfections as well as viral titers done, but it is literally a matter of being able to get blood out of me. I have such bad autonomic dysfunction that my veins shut down when they stick a needle in me, and the blood won't flow. They could barely get enough out for the western blot. :/

My western blot results were:
IgG 39 IND, 41++
IgM 39 IND, 41 IND, 45 +

My guess is the 41++ is probably EBV-- I had a nasty case of mono as teenager, though I seemed to have recovered at the time. Also had some really weird mono-like viruses in college, including a viral meningitis.

Stool test didn't show any parasites or candida or anything. Only things notable were no bifidobacterium, and presence of gamma-hemolytic strep and group B strep. My SCFAs were a little unbalanced too, which is probably due to the low bifidos. I'd like to retest my stool, since antibiotics have completely screwed up my gut.

Where did you find that info about ehrlichiosis? I'd like to read more on it.

Martial

@PDXhausted

Here is the source of that info!

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/blog

Interestingly enough it seems like you and him really match each other in symptoms and stuff that had happened to both of you..

Have you sought treatment for the bacterial co infections yet?

I have issues with POTS because of Lyme, it takes clearing up the infection to clear that up. In the mean time I think the best you can do is keep exercising and moving around as much you can weight training and paced cardio activity are best, sleep on an elevated bed rest of at least four inches and remember de conditioning is the trap that keeps POTS a vicious cycle, People often recommend compression socks to help with blood flow, I use this and it helps.. Better though to use some kind of abdomen compressor this is where all of the excess blood flow will mainly flow so abdomen compression will provide the absolute best support, combine this with treating infection and gradual conditioning and you can get recovery.

Keep in mind there is no way to test the amount of parasitic infections there is out there. There are over 100's of possible strains and basic tests usually only cover a very small amount.

You should get tested with IgeneX and see what comes up with that to give you a better idea of what is going on.. At least if you have lyme which ehrlichiosis can be a co infection.. Keep in mind that the CDC panel Western Blot is not always accurate, the only sure way to know what you have is with IgeneX or another east coast lab I forgot the name of.

The good news is that alternative treatment for lyme also covers viral infections and parasitic infections, the abx are all natural anti bacterial, anti viral, anti parasitic.

What treatments are you using up to date for your health?

I think you would extremely benefit from the protocol I use, you don't have to copy everything to the tee but it is important to cover all bases of system help!

Here is what I use

Bacteria killing- Prima Una De Gato (toa free cats claw, different version of Samento), Samento is just a s good though... Banderol, and Grape Fruit seed extract.

Oxidative support- Resveratrol, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Neuro Protek, and Ribociene (glutathione pre cursor), may add PQQ later on

Inflammation response- Lithium aspartate (for my messed up brain), TheraCurmin, Fermented fish cod oil, source naturals glucosamine chondroitin complex with msm

General Immune system help- Ester C, Vitamin D, reishi mushroom, bio citrate magnesium, Jarrows B right complex.

Methylation protocol- Methyl b12, ado b12, methyl folate, L Carnatine Fumarate.

Also recently I added essential oils, these have actually been very, very potent!

The main one On Guard works perfectly for anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral properties. The others I use are frankincense for anti inflammation and mental boost, melaleuca for cyst and bio film busting, and Slim and Sassy Metabolic blend for metabolic support. I got to admit I feel a bit weird using something called Slim and Sassy though lol, the ingredients is what counts though..

The link I posted of the guys site has a ton of info as well, just take a look around and scope it all out.. More then enough recovery tips and protocols to try!

also here is the ehrlichia page I found specifically.
http://www.betterhealthguy.com/lyme/my-diagnosis

Interesting to note for you is NeuroProtek, I use this for allergic inflammation response which I believe lyme and co infection can trigger or cause.. Basically issues with mast cell activation in response to infection.. I found this to be most beneficial to stop any allergic responses, help sooth hyper sensitive nerves, and as nerve protection.

One last note, if you use anything from my protocol most important of all recovery from chronic illness in my opinion is Freddd's methylation protocol..

I do not think I would have gotten better, de toxed, or been able to have a chance of quicker remission and full lyme disease eradication without this..

Chronic infection or illness of any kind wrecks havoc on methylation, and without proper methylation you get severe toxicity and it is no wonder people do not get better!