• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Injury in Chronic Multisymptom Conditions

MDL

It would seem to me that the following is rather on point:

Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Jan;12(1):1-13.
Hydrogen sulfide increases glutathione production and suppresses oxidative stress in mitochondria.
Kimura Y, Goto Y, Kimura H.
Source
Department of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Neuroscience, Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan. kimura@ncnp.go.jp
Abstract
Hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S) is a synaptic modulator as well as a neuroprotectant in the brain. We recently showed that H(2)S protects neurons from oxidative stress by increasing the levels of glutathione (GSH), a major cellular antioxidant, by more than twice that of a control through enhancing the cystine transport. Here we show that H(2)S enhances the transport of cysteine to increase GSH production more than cystine transport and to redistribute the localization of GSH to mitochondria. The efficiency of GSH production enhanced by H(2)S is even greater by fourfold under oxidative stress by glutamate. H(2)S reinstated GSH levels in the fetal brain decreased by ischemia/reperfusion in utero. In addition, Neuro2a cells expressing a mitochondrial H(2)S-producing enzyme, 3-mercaptopyruvate sulfurtransferase (3MST), along with cysteine aminotransferase (CAT), showed significant resistance to oxidative stress. The present study shows that H(2)S protects cells from oxidative stress by two mechanisms. It enhances the production of GSH by enhancing cystine/cysteine transporters and redistributes GSH to mitochondria. H(2)S produced in mitochondria also may directly suppress oxidative stress. It provides a new mechanism of neuroprotection from oxidative stress by H(2)S.
----------
As you can see from the above, hydrogen sulfide plays an important role in the production and distribution of glutathione in the brain and in the control of oxidative stress.
I proposed that hydrogen sulfide plays a key role in CFS through the mitochondria and oxidative stress several years ago. This was confirmed by the work Rich referenced above. From my quick perusal, Dr. Golomb does not mention hydrogen sulfide (please correct me if I am wrong), but I think it is only a matter of time before we begin to see a fuller picture emerge, and my hunch is that it will include hydrogen sulfide.
Marian

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Marian, i'm a bit confused by your post - are you saying that Hydrogen Sulfide is a GOOD thing? As far as i can tell H2S is a very poisonous toxic gas. Am i missing something?

Thanks Rich for your input - do you feel then that the MCB is also happening in GWI? have you had any contact with GWI researchers?
All the best, Justy

MDL

Hi Marian, i'm a bit confused by your post - are you saying that Hydrogen Sulfide is a GOOD thing? As far as i can tell H2S is a very poisonous toxic gas. Am i missing something?

Hi Justy,

What we are talking about here is something fundamental to the creation of life, like oxygen, and yes, it is critically important-- it is a toxin that is also beneficial to us in many profound ways. The research on H2S is developing very quickly, and the picture that is emerging is of a profoundly powerful gas that regulates many important functions in the body in both directions--it is both pro- and anti-inflammatory. I believe that people with CFS/ME have dysregulated metabolism of H2S, which can come about in a number of ways, not just through a preponderance of the wrong bacteria in the gut. Fundamentally, when the redox balance is shifted, the body utilizes oxygen in a much less efficient manner, and I think H2S is a key player in that process. If you really want to understand the multi-system manifestations of CFS/ME, I think hydrogen sulfide is an ideal candidate for a systems-wide approach, but it does require a paradigm shift in thinking...

A big topic....but I hope this helps.
Marian

dannybex

Hi Marian,

Glad to see you back here. I've been intrigued by your hypothesis, even if I don't understand it very well. Your last reply helps in that regard, but I'm wondering what you propose as a solution. How do we increase our H2S...or DO we increase it, or is it something that will be metabolized and utilized better if one's methylation is functioning properly?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

richvank

Thanks Rich for your input - do you feel then that the MCB is also happening in GWI? have you had any contact with GWI researchers?
All the best, Justy

Hi, Justy.

I've been trying to interest the GWI folks into looking into glutathione depletion since 2003, and methylation since 2007. Lately there seems to be a little more interest. I would really like to see the methylation pathways panel run on a few of these vets. Hopefully it will happen.

Best regards,

Rich

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I agree, good info - mito dysfunction as one of the root issues/causes could also explain the wide range of severity of CFS/ME/FM, from very mild to very severe vs a solely infecting agent or clear genetic disorder which would - eventually - likely bring most patients very close to the same level. I started taking PQQ a while ago which seems to be the new hot item for mito repair. cheers

Any update mellster now that its a month plus in?