1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Oxford criterea severely critisized by chief medical officer of the UK

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Gerwyn, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

This is the extract from the CMA,s report

Oxford criteria[10] are used. These are even more broadly inclusive of a heterogeneous population than the definition of CFS by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention previously referred to.[11] Indeed, one of the co-authors of the Oxford criteria has described them as follows:

British investigators have put forward an alternative, less strict, operational definition which is essentially chronic fatigue in the absence of neurological signs [but] with psychiatric symptoms as common associated features.

would anyone like to hazard a guess as the person supplying the quote
  2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Hi gerwyn

Thanks for this. Do you have the link to the CMA's report? When did it come out? Who does this report go to? Does it carry any wieght? Were any recommendations made about the use of the Oxford definition?

ok - enough questions
  3. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

I meant CMO 2002 led to a formal definition in the UK which superceded oxford which includes post exhertional malaise and excludes depression
  4. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I found reference in this article. Scroll down to where it says 1991
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Technically, he didn't say it. He wasn't even on the panel. Peter White, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare (?) and A.N. Other resigned at the last minute after getting a lot of consessions.
  6. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Who Do you think said it and what are we referring to
  7. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The Chief Medical Officer didn't say it.
    He set up a Working Group and they came up with the report.

I'm referring to the title of this thread:
  9. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Hi tomk You are quite right my post should read report endorsed by CMO criticizes Oxford criterea.I thought you were talking about the Quote.This originated from AS Davis--A co author of the Oxford criterea

See more popular forum discussions.