1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ow! Muscle cramps keeping me up at night, and leading to permanent injury

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by NilaJones, Jan 22, 2014.

1. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

@caledonia, @Star-Anise, @Freddd, @Critterina, @ahmo...

Woohoo! I did it! I raised my b12 a bit yesterday (albeit kinda accidentally) and did not have a potassium crash!

I tried a new seafood source, and, based on results, it has more b12 in it than the internet charts predict. I had a bit too much energy all day. I slept 10 hours though (wore myself out), so no insomnia. Helped perhaps by the 400mg selenium I took at bedtime.

I also had WAY less inflammation. So, I am excited about progress!
    Critterina and Star-Anise like this.
  2. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi NilaJones,

Seafood is often an excellent source of potassium. I really hope you mean mcg of selenium, not mgs as selenium in excess is poisonous. Selenium supplies the "loco" in locoweed.
    Star-Anise likes this.
  3. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

@NilaJones :) You're definitely on to something. So happy to hear xoxox Coincidentally my situation is improving too!!! :)
    Critterina likes this.
  4. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

I am using seafood as a source of b12. I can only take small amounts, so any potassium is probably incidental. I have found the food b12 works better for me than several popular kinds of sublinguals.

I probably do mean mcg of selenium :). I am deficient in it, as is the soil where my food comes from.

@Star-Anise I am so glad you are doing better!! What helped?
  5. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

@NilaJones
    Lol, more methylfolate :) Haven't tried the carnitine with mfolate again, but more mfolate took all new fatigue & edema away!
  6. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

Woot! That is awesome!
  7. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

@caledonia, @Star-Anise, @Freddd, @Critterina, @ahmo...

Well, I had another terrible night of leg pain, and potassium didn't help. I am here in hope of finding other ideas.

I hope you don't mind if I pm you details. Please feel free to ignore if you don't have the energy. I am concerned about privacy, posting here, and desperate for some way out of this mess.
  8. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
  9. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hi Nila,

I think the balances between nutrients are really important in issues like this. Just potassium could derail your balances.

Sushi
  10. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Sushi,

Quite right. Too much calcium for instance compared to potassium and magnesium can have almost identical symptoms. Balance is a lot of this.
  11. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

@Sushi, @Freddd

Can you (or anyone) help me get a sense of where to start with balancing?

I have been focused on balancing from a gut POV -- oral magnesium causes diarrhea, and calcium and iron cause constipation, so I try to take amounts that counteract each other.

The last couple days, I have stopped all oral mg, but increased the topical mg, and have stopped calcium. I felt my gut couldn't handle it all.

I am still having symptoms keeping me awake -- was up 4 hours last night. I am not sure what to try first.

See more popular forum discussions.