• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ow! Muscle cramps keeping me up at night, and leading to permanent injury

NilaJones

@caledonia, @Star-Anise, @Freddd, @Critterina, @ahmo...

Woohoo! I did it! I raised my b12 a bit yesterday (albeit kinda accidentally) and did not have a potassium crash!

I tried a new seafood source, and, based on results, it has more b12 in it than the internet charts predict. I had a bit too much energy all day. I slept 10 hours though (wore myself out), so no insomnia. Helped perhaps by the 400mg selenium I took at bedtime.

I also had WAY less inflammation. So, I am excited about progress!

Freddd

Woohoo! I did it! I raised my b12 a bit yesterday (albeit kinda accidentally) and did not have a potassium crash!

I tried a new seafood source, and, based on results, it has more b12 in it than the internet charts predict. I had a bit too much energy all day. I slept 10 hours though (wore myself out), so no insomnia. Helped perhaps by the 400mg selenium I took at bedtime.

I also had WAY less inflammation. So, I am excited about progress!

Hi NilaJones,

Seafood is often an excellent source of potassium. I really hope you mean mcg of selenium, not mgs as selenium in excess is poisonous. Selenium supplies the "loco" in locoweed.

NilaJones

Hi NilaJones,

Seafood is often an excellent source of potassium. I really hope you mean mcg of selenium, not mgs as selenium in excess is poisonous. Selenium supplies the "loco" in locoweed.

I am using seafood as a source of b12. I can only take small amounts, so any potassium is probably incidental. I have found the food b12 works better for me than several popular kinds of sublinguals.

I probably do mean mcg of selenium :). I am deficient in it, as is the soil where my food comes from.

@Star-Anise I am so glad you are doing better!! What helped?

NilaJones

Well, I had another terrible night of leg pain, and potassium didn't help. I am here in hope of finding other ideas.

I hope you don't mind if I pm you details. Please feel free to ignore if you don't have the energy. I am concerned about privacy, posting here, and desperate for some way out of this mess.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Well, I had another terrible night of leg pain, and potassium didn't help. I am here in hope of finding other ideas.

I hope you don't mind if I pm you details. Please feel free to ignore if you don't have the energy. I am concerned about privacy, posting here, and desperate for some way out of this mess.

Hi Nila,

I think the balances between nutrients are really important in issues like this. Just potassium could derail your balances.

Sushi

Freddd

Hi Nila,

I think the balances between nutrients are really important in issues like this. Just potassium could derail your balances.

Sushi

Hi Sushi,

Quite right. Too much calcium for instance compared to potassium and magnesium can have almost identical symptoms. Balance is a lot of this.

NilaJones

@Sushi, @Freddd

Can you (or anyone) help me get a sense of where to start with balancing?

I have been focused on balancing from a gut POV -- oral magnesium causes diarrhea, and calcium and iron cause constipation, so I try to take amounts that counteract each other.

The last couple days, I have stopped all oral mg, but increased the topical mg, and have stopped calcium. I felt my gut couldn't handle it all.

I am still having symptoms keeping me awake -- was up 4 hours last night. I am not sure what to try first.