• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

overmethylation URGENT HELP

Seven7

Seven
I can't read much due to inflamation I think is overmethylation (The folapro did it). I am confused which one is that slow methylation is it b3???? My head is soo inflamed and having burning pain in head and back.

TX,7

cph13

Niacin is the one I know about but PLEASE check it out put in NIACIN in the search or go to google and search niacin on PR

Star-Anise

I can't read much due to inflamation I think is overmethylation (The folapro did it). I am confused which one is that slow methylation is it b3???? My head is soo inflamed and having burning pain in head and back.

TX,7

yes B3 = Niacin. You want to ensure you get non-flushing kind.
I would read as much as I can on Dr. Lynch's site. He is the one that recommends its use for overmethylation. Truth be told I tend to just wait out the overmethylation, but I have never had such acute symptoms because I tried such a tiny, tiny doses of methyl agents to begin with due to me knowing that I could overmethylate easily.
Here is a link to a conversation re: B3 and overmethylation via Dr. Lynch's site:
http://mthfr.net/forums/topic/question-about-niacin-and-niacinamide/

I hope things clear up for you soon. I know overmethylation can be very uncomfortable :(

South

I read threads that niacin, the FLUSHING kind, will slow methylation, according to some people. I've also seen threads that niacinamide, which is a non-flushing version, may slow methylation, according to other people.

I think I saw more threads on the flushing kind than the non-flushing kind, for slowing down methylation, but I've seen both written about as such on Phoenix Rising.

The flushing kind will say "niacin" on the bottle, not niacinamide, and will NOT have the words "no flush".

Star-Anise

@undcvr just some words of wisdom, lol, if you are choosing to experiment with the potential flushing type (niacin) then be very careful. I took a small dose, and was "flushed" to say the least for several hours - beet red, burning welts all over my body, and my face was basically purple. As well caused such a histamine release that my anxiety was through the roof. Lol, which is why I mentioned above that I decided to titrate methyl agents down to minute, minute amounts because I had no desire to experiment with any form of niacin in any form after that. It was kind of funny though looking back :)

undcvr

im actually just trying to figure out if niacinamide stops flushing too, I take a B3 along with all my B vites and Deplin and don't want to waste the effects of the Deplin.

Niacin (nicotinic acid) is what you want to stop the effects of overmethylation. It will most likely make you flush, and addition to my face turning pink, it made my hives come out. I was ridiculously itchy. But these effects went away after about an hour, and the relief I felt from stopping the methylation reaction was worth the temporary niacin flushing.

Non-flush niacin (niacinamide) will give you the B3 you need without the unpleasant flush reaction, but from what I understand, it's not going to help you with overmethylation.

My husband went to Walmart to pick up the niacin for me, but they only had niacinamide. He asked the pharmacist to be sure. He had to go to Rite Aid to get the right stuff.

Last edited:

Violeta

Have you been taking any potassium. I've found that the "overmethylation" feeling for me is just a need for potassium.

Seven7

Seven
Yes, I did load on potasium I am 100% sure it was the folapro. I have issues with Methyl no matter how little I have. I think I will wait for the 23 and ME before I keep going.

bertiedog

I found that ordinary niacinamide also helps to stop the overmethylation. I took around 75-100 mg and it definitely helped. Its ok to take another dose within a few hours if you need to.

Good luck, its a horrible symptom I have had it on so many occasions that I don't take anything more than 200 mcg methyfolate and 200 mcg calcium folinate. Some of us don't need to take very much at all especially if we have quite a lot of folate in our diet which I do.

Pam

bertiedog

Forgot to add that though this applies to methylfolate ie cannot tolerate much this isn't the case for B12 but again I cannot take the methylform but do fine with Cynacobalamin or Hydroxy or AdnB12.

Pam

Freddd

TX,7

Lots of sudden inflammation is usually donut hole paradoxical folate deficiency. Sounds like possibly even methyltrap.

Freddd

Does anyone do well on Deplin sized doses or does it always cause overmethylation and/or methyl trapping?

Lot's of people do well on Deplin sized doses. It requires MeCbl to relieve methyltrap and to prevent SubAcute Combined Degeneration.

What is usually called overmethylation is usually AdoCbl deficiency or MeCbl deficiency symptoms or LCF or too much B1, B2 and/or B3.

acrosstheveil

niacinamide, in my experience, definitely mops up methyl groups just as much as niacin does. I tried taking high dose niacinamide for lyme but had to stop because I was getting strong undermethylation symptoms.

whodathunkit

Any form of supplemental niacin gives me problems. Niacin, niacinimide, even the so-called activated form NADH, which is not supposed to give symptoms because it doesn't have to be "processed" by the body before it can be used. I took like 2.5mg fNADH for just two days in a row and noticed some minor symptoms of methyl trap/methyl blocking. No niacin for me, never again.