• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylation or paradoxical folate defficiency?

Gondwanaland

On January 23 I sarted taking 500mcg mB12 (it felt awesome for a week, then it seemed like back to normal).

On March 9 I started 200mcg methylfolate and was taking 1000mcg mB12 (felt no changes).

On March 14 I upped my folate to 2 quarters of a tablet (400mcg)

On March 15 by mistake I took 2 halves (800mcg) of folate

On March 16 I started feeling a tight chest, breathing difficulty - put ginger on my pumpkin soup with meat and felt greatly relieved, so I started taking ginger tea daily (isn’t helping much anymore – makes my mouth even more dry)

On March 17 I stopped the folate

On March 21 I stopped the mB12

Recent blood results
Homocysteine (female range 4.44-13.56) before my accident with folate was 6.78 on Feb 7
on Mar 21 it is 9.81
Folic acid (3-17.5) 12.6 on Mar 19
Vitamin B12 872 on Mar 19

I am having flu like symptoms, anxiety, can't sleep, chills, weakness. It seems that shallow breathing is slowly resolving

Am I overmethylating or in a paradoxical folate defficiency?

izzy

Phred

The March 16 symptoms sound like hypokalemia (low potassium) while the present symptoms sound like folate deficiency.

I get that tight feeling in my chest and take potassium. I really should be taking potassium long before that tightness starts, but I can be stubborn. But as soon as I feel that tightness I get potassium in me right away. Low potassium affecting the heart can be dangerous.

Gondwanaland

Thanks, @Phred
I have an unpleasant endocrine reaction to KCl, I think it antagonizes my thyroid/adrenals and I get brain fogged, cold hands and feet and chills.

I tried no flush niacin and niacin with no success in the past weeks. So today I finally overcame my fear (I am unsure at self testing) and took 125mcg mB12 and feel 50% better now...

It seems the hypokalemia had given place to lack of methyl factors when I interrupted supplementation (UNDERmethylation)... I was too scared and brain fogged to understand...

I finally found a rheumatologist in my town who prescribes methylation and LDN and accepts my insurance, but could not get an appointment before late May. So now I have to wait 5 weeks for medical help. While things are bearable I will not add folate and will keep the mB12, increasing when needed up to 500mcg.

izzy