1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Overmethylated= Ear Ringing and Histamine Intolerance?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by chilove, Dec 21, 2013.

1. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Hi guys,

I'm STILL trying to figure out the source of my newly developed histamine intolerance and now I have a new symptom to figure out: ringing in my ears. I've heard that ear ringing can be related to overmethylation.
    Does anyone know anything about this connection?

Thanks!

Audrey

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

If that's the case then yeppee, I have had ringing in my ears since 2004... it is quite annoying although in the list of my symptoms (and I presume of most others) that's an easy one to cope with.

Sorry, not a useful reply about your question but I can relate to it :)

High histamine is also another problem for me, way more annoying and it gets worse with the cold season. Sometimes I get pretty bad rashes, it feels like thousands of needles in my back, torso and arms :(

I am still struggling getting my methylation going, just recently discovered that i am C677T +/+ and started with metafolin. So my problem is undermethylation instead of over... How do you detect when you are over-methylating?

Cheers

3. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Hi Peter,

I just assumed both the histamine intolerance and ear ringing were related to being over methylated since I didn't have those symptoms before I started a methylation protocol.

Thanks!

4. PeterPositive

As far as I can understand high histamine is usually correlated with under methylation.
    See here for example:
    http://www.drkaslow.com/html/histadelia.html

Of course it can also be a lot of other things, so it might be unrelated or at least not related directly.

Cheers

5. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    are those the only new symptoms since you started methyl donors?

6. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Ho Chilove,

Ringing ears can be B12 deficiency. It can be a lot of other things too. When MeCbl is first started there is an amplification of sensory phenomena and that includes "noise" in the system. I've had both. I've had a whole lot more than 2 kinds of ear ringing.

Aerose91 likes this.
  7. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi PeterPositive,

How do you detect when you are over-methylating

I've seen people assign all sorts of b12 deficiency symptoms, maybe especially AdoCbl deficiency symptoms. Nobody appears able to name symptoms that actually are predictive. They assign symptoms but they are always b12 /folate/carnitine deficiency symptoms.

My advice is not to worry about "overmethylation" until everything is fixed, then look for symptoms telling you something is wrong.

8. PeterPositive

Thanks

9. DREBS

DREBS

Texas
    You can find out.. if you feel like your overmethylating take niacin not nicotinic acid for flush free niacin… but just niacin it will give you a flush and warm feeling in your face and will dump your methyl donors, don't start too high everyone reacts different.. i would take 50 mg wait 25 mins take 100 mg wait 25 min then if still nothing take 200 mg and eat kale chips… don't know why but it always starts it for me.

However after your done you will be undermethylating after dumping all your donors. This seems to be a little known secret, It is also said (i would do some poking around) that people who flush at lower doses have high histamine levels … here's some information on it an excerpt from Dr. Ben Lynch on MTHFR.COM….
    He more specifically ties it to anxiety but that is usually (in protocoling with methylation) a sign over over methylating…. Do some poking around on Niacin, Histamine and methylation.
    Why Niacin??!
    You’re likely wondering why niacin was so effective at reducing this gentleman’s anxiety.

I’ll let you in on the secret and wonderful actions of biochemistry.

Niacin restored his mood in two ways – at least the two ways that I am familiar with:

1. Nicotinic acid (Niacin USP) requires SAMe to be metabolized. SAMe is a major methyl donor. Thus, when one consumes niacin, SAMe gets used up and methyl donors drop. Thereby excessive methylation goes away.
    2. Nicotinic acid is a cofactor for the COMT enzyme. This enzyme helps breakdown norepinephrine and epinephrine – and estrogen. These are all commonly elevated in those with anxiety. Since the COMT enzyme sped up, the breakdown of these occurred faster.

Aerose91 likes this.
  10. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Yes, those are the two main symptoms since starting methylation.

What ration of Mfolate to B12 should I have?

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm experiencing some EMF sensitivity so forgive me for not responding to each post separately.

11. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

ive been taking tons of mb12 with continued tinnitus. could an adb12 deficiency alone cause tinnitus?

12. Victronix

Victronix Senior Member

California
    For me, ear ringing is one symptom among many that I am low potassium, and methylation will make me low potassium. I used to take elemental potassium when I was taking mfolate, but now am only taking m B-12 and only need to drink some coconut water, eat bananas, etc.

Aerose91 likes this.
  13. end

end Senior Member

Not sure on the adb12, but...

There's a few deficiencies that may cause tinnitus - "Research has shown that zinc deficiency is common among tinnitus sufferers."

http://tinnitusreliefinformation.com/vitamins-for-tinnitus?wprptest2=0

Have just read Vitamin A & D deficiencies may be involved?

"Vitamin A, or beta carotene plays a role in helping the body to repair and recover from injury, it also plays a role in sight and night vision.

There is anecdotal evidence that the deficiency of this important vitamin could lead to tinnitus, but it is more likely that a deficiency prevents optimum healing of damage in the ears, and by taking a supplement the body can use this to promote healing of the ear and therefore reduce tinnitus."

http://www.tinnitusreporter.com/stop-ear-ringing.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.