1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Overgrowth of good bacteria

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Gavman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    Hi,

I did a bio screen not long ago and it showed 10x the normal amount of both lacto and bifido strains.
    As these are good bacteria, my doctor assumed I was a probiotic junky maybe and didn't look further.
    Someone suggested it is probably SIBO and its not healthy to have that amount.
    Now I am generally constipated and get insane migraines after sugar, protein and feel sick after eating fats. I have low pancreatic function too. According to my UAA and organic acids test, I have very low arginine and low amino acids in general. The OATs test pointed to urea cycle problems.
    Does anyone know a good treatment for this problem?
  2. Gypsy

Gypsy Senior Member

USA
    Gavman

With SIBO, a person can have an overgrowth of bad AND good bacteria. Have you looked into the antibiotic Xifaxan to treat SIBO? Do you also have IBS symptoms? There are other antibiotics that can be used if Xifaxan is too expensive or unattainable, there is a lot of SIBO info online. I get worse with ANY probiotic supplement so I think I just have too much bacteria, period.
  3. Gypsy

Gypsy Senior Member

USA
    Hi,

You might want to repost this in the Treatment area in "The Gut" section, you will probably get more replies!
  4. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    I think with SIBO you will have bloating and generally feel miserable due to the fermentation.
    You can do a hydrogen breath test and methane breath test for SIBO. I'm not entirely convinced though a negative result = no SIBO.
  5. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    Hi,

I did a bio screen not long ago and it showed 10x the normal amount of both lacto and bifido strains.
    As these are good bacteria, my doctor assumed I was a probiotic junky maybe and didn't look further.
    Someone suggested it is probably SIBO and its not healthy to have that amount.
    Now I am generally constipated (3 days) and get insane migraines after sugar, protein and feel sick after eating fats. I have low pancreatic function too. According to my UAA and organic acids test, I have very low arginine and low amino acids in general. The OATs test pointed to urea cycle problems, orotate was very high, Richvank said it was the highest he's seen.
    Does anyone know a good treatment for this problem?

See more popular forum discussions.