• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Over-driving the methylation cycle

Gestalt

Also, Yasko isn't focused on CFS so even though she does keep track of the data somehow, she won't be going away from the kids to formuate a plan just for CFS. She does have some basics though and I know my doc looked at them and only liked half of them, I think. But then, she's alwaysbeen against an autism or cfs bundle anyway. She thinks each person has to be taken differently and treated that way, too.

I'm fully aware Yasko isn't focused on CFS, hence why it is up to us with Rich, to come up with something that is. CFS is not going to solve itself. I'm also aware there are 10,000+ variables, and that in an ideal world every person with CFS could get personalized treatment like your doctor (April Ward-Hauge) provides. However, the world is not quite there yet, and very few doctors exist that can provide that kind of care, let alone people that can afford it, especially coming out of the gate. Unless you have a magic rabbit tucked away somewhere that can pay for all of this?

The point of this particular thread is to inform, and educate, as well as help Rich create a generalized simple largely mostly effective protocol that helps the most amount of people in a very easy and accessible way. A protocol such as what Rich is proposing was never intended/supposed to cure every person of CFS on the planet, however it is meant to give the most amount of people a leg up and hope so that they will be in a better position to help themselves down the road and then can begin to make individualized changes.

Every person is their own unique snow flake, however when your at rock bottom you start with the basics and take baby steps forward. That is until every person with CFS on the planet can have a doctor like yours.This is where idealism meets reality.

greenshots

"I wonder if yasko has a database of CFS/Fibro to see if she can check prevalence of genes, and then based on the highest % defects, formulate a supplement protocol off that. Might be of great benefit to you Rich".

My comment about this wasn't meant as a personal attack or sarcasm but I can see that my posts have been taken that way lately. I simply meant to point out that Yasko wasn't going to be of much help there as she hasn't been in the past. Other than for that one time with Dr. Vank's study, she doesn't reveal what she tracks and tends toward secrecy.......or privacy.....however you look at it, but I'm not sure why.

But since I can't seem to make these kinds of comments without offending everybody, I think its time I learned my lesson. I do much better in person so I'll leave you all to your sleuthing and stick to what I do best, recovering me and my kids and staying off the forum.

Best of luck on your path,
Angela

dannybex

Yes and No. Minority on mthfr yes, but probably not on all the other genes that regulate the methylation cycle. According to heartfixer CBS upreg occurs in 90% of people tested. That's pretty crazy. If that's really the case supplementing for CBS mutation as part of the generic protocol may even be more beneficial than trying to help mthfr.

I think that's the consensus...that if one can't tolerate the Simplified Protocol, that they may likely have the CBS defect. (It's confusing, as he calls them mutations at times, then says they aren't mutations in the classical sense. JIll James described them as 'deficits'.)

It's also important to point out that Dr. Roberts (on the Heartfixer page) points out that he is homozygous (+/+) for MTHFR C677T, and yet did not become ill, in fact was/is in very good health, even before he learned about the genetics and the need for methyl donors. Quoting:

"I’ve used myself as an example, so you’ve seen that I share with you several genetic liabilities – and I am not sick. Just because you have genetic predispositions it doesn’t follow that you have to be sick. I haven’t missed a day of work in 15 years and once a year I run a 26 mile Marathon – but I do try to take care of myself, I do take a lot of nutritional supplements, and I have applied the principles of heavy metal and hydrocarbon detoxification to myself. Now that I understand my Methyl Cycle predispositions, I will be in a better position to promote my own good health."

A very complex, complicated puzzle...

Gestalt

But since I can't seem to make these kinds of comments without offending everybody, I think its time I learned my lesson. I do much better in person so I'll leave you all to your sleuthing and stick to what I do best, recovering me and my kids and staying off the forum.

Best of luck on your path,
Angela
I wasn't offended, although I felt you missed the context of this particular thread. I really admire your enthusiasm and your striving towards ideals. I have read a lot of your posts and find great value in the information you have presented. In fact you convinced me about your doctor so well I have an appointment booked with her for my gf and I. So now your doctor is my doctor, and I have you to thank for that. Ultimately the road to optimal health is through a highly personalized approach. I just realize that not everyone has that luxury quite yet given their circumstances, however that doesn't mean we can't strive towards it by helping create a solid foundation. I would like to encourage you to stick around, and share what has worked and the things you discover.
It's also important to point out that Dr. Roberts (on the Heartfixer page) points out that he is homozygous (+/+) for MTHFR C677T, and yet did not become ill, in fact was/is in very good health, even before he learned about the genetics and the need for methyl donors. Quoting:
It's nice that you point that out. Genetics are not destiny, environment and epigenetics play equal crucial roles. Most people aren't born with CFS, but contract it after some sort of stressor exposure. Rich's theories explain this quite well.

Lynn_M

Angela wrote:
"I do much better in person so I'll leave you all to your sleuthing and stick to what I do best, recovering me and my kids and staying off the forum."

Angela, I think you've made valuable contributions here. I will be sorry if you do leave.

place

Be Strong!
Angela, I think it's hard for individuals to debate ideology and problems solve if one has contrary information. It's never easy, Rich is the best I have seen do it well =). But it has to happen or we will get no where. I hope you keep contributing I truly learn so much with your posts.

greenshots

Thanks for the encouragement! Ya know, someone asked me what residual issues I still struggled with were since I keep saying I'm 75-80% there. I thought about it a while and realized that the only remaining issues were very mild periods of depression and poor social stamina. Say after going to a wedding, I couldn't necessarily go out with friends the next day, I'd need to pace myself. But I can take care of my 3 kids, do all my household stuff, errands, research, and exercise 3 times a week (maybe not quite as robustly as I used to since I was a runner). So I realized I was more like 90% of the way there. I guess you just see yourself as sick for so long and it so gradually improves that it almost sneaks up on you.

But I was feeling sort of like maybe I didn't belong here anymore, that maybe I couldn't relate like I used to and that's why I was stepping into landmines with my big mouth. I know things can sound harsher than they are when you can't see the delivery and wish that could be changed. Its one reason I only Skype with my doc instead of calls or email visits. I'm glad others have found my doctor but on the other hand, I don't feel as excited about putting her name out there anymore. I guess I'm sorta selfish but I don't want her getting like so many others and having a 5 year wait list or a 3-6 month follow up list! Maybe we could just keep it to this forum instead of putting it out there for the masses? When dr. Vank commented about how good she was I felt a moment of fear that people would flood her! I realize its very selfish and probably unrealistic but We all know how hard it is out there to get a good one!!!

Anyhow, I appreciate the comments & I'll really think about it before chiming in :)

Angela