1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Out of Darkness Comes Light - mysteriously beautiful photographs from a bedbound sufferer

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dakinijones

Dakinijones

Leeds
    I think my favourites are 'Sense of self goes up in flames', 'Fingernail celebrates New Year' and 'Crown of pillows'. Between them they remind me vividly of the worst years of my illness... Both the horror and the renewal. Of course the whole exhibition does that really. Amazing work. And the words only enhanced the visuals, I really related to the line about being on the borderline of living and dying and not knowing how to do either. Thank you so much for sharing your work with us Penny.
    Ren and Simon like this.
  2. TCP36

TCP36 I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!

UK
    Lovely light ethereal images. Beautiful work, Penny. I too enjoy my camera and the magic that can be produced. Keep at it...FAB!
    Firestormm and Simon like this.
  3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Sorry, missed this one earlier; reply from Penny:
    Indeed, and do make sure you make those three whishes, and may they come true

Also, someone emailed Penny saying they liked the photo and title of: "White flag above my bed (apologies to Dido)". For those who like me missed the reference, 'White Flag' is a song written by Dido with the line "there will be no white flag above my bed".
    Raindrop likes this.
  4. missmilki

missmilki

Dear Penny, these photographs are truly beautiful. It is amazing & inspiring to see how your soul thrives & creativity blossoms even as your body is limited. I was also inspired to create a series of photographs about light inspired by my illness a few years ago. I'm anywhere near as sick as you are but I did find that photography helped me notice the beauty in my mundane surroundings & the way the light moved through the house instead of thinking of it as my prison. However it is a long while now since I have created any art or photography. Thank you for reminding me how beneficial it can be to ones soul to create, and for inspiring me to return to it. I pray that you will be encouraged to know that your work has touched me & inspired me & many others. And I wish you well with your health.
    Raindrop and Simon like this.
  5. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    I don't have words strong enough to convey how moved I am by your gallery of photographs.
    I am deeply touched by them, inspired and impressed. They carry many metaphors and
    rich meaning. Is there any way that we may have copies of any of them (happy to purchase if
    it can be done reasonably) while giving you credit for your work? I would help me with my
    own hourly struggle to have a few on my walls to lend hope and inspiration.
    I thank you SO very much for showing these to us and the world at large.
    Simon likes this.
  6. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Penny,
    I am still thinking about these photos! Thank you again. I love the "3 wishes" also.
    They are gorgeous pieces of art and just incredibly inspirational to me.
    Your isolation and darkness is NOT in vain!!
    I
    will hold you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Simon likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Buying prints of Penny's work?

A few people have asked if they can get prints of Penny's photos. Penny is happy in prinicple to make some available but they were taken in low light on a cheap old digital so file quality is low. She is looking at ways to print them in a way that will reproduce well, but is really quite ill at the moment.

If anyone is interested in getting prints - they probably won't be any bigger than A5 - could they PM me? At this point I have no idea of likely cost, I'm afraid

And thanks to Raindrop and @missmilki for those warm comments which I have passed on.
  8. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Simon,
    Please pardon my ignorance, but does "PM" you mean to (?) reply to you this way or ??
    Really appreciate your getting back to me on this.
    I would like any size possible; of course the bigger the better.
    I understand the quality won't be perfect. It's the heart and soul of the photos that counts.
    Would you like to know *which* photos I am interested in at this point or later?
    (Maybe that's a matter for how the files come out)
    Of course I understand her situation.
    Please let her know that her photos help me keep her in
    thoughts and prayer.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Sorry, PM is 'private message' but it's actually now called 'conversations', so no wonder you were confused:). Click on my photo, then click "start a conversation".

I will pass on your message to Penny.
  10. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Simon,
    I tried doing what you said....clicking on your photo .....but then could NOT see anywhere it said to
    click on "start a conversation". Sorry I have to ask, but can you see if maybe this changed or
    direct me in some other way?
    Oh goodness! It is hard to be a newbie!!!
    Also.....I would like any of the following (OR any others if these are not possible):
    1) Bedsheets take flight
    2) Three Wishes
    3) Journey to Center of the Futon 1
    4) River Runs Through Me

I also think that these photos would be fabulous to use as post cards to sell or distribute for
    ME Awareness! I would love to even possibly be involved in that project.
    Please let me know how to do conversation to you as you requested.......Am so frustrated!:aghhh:
    Thank you!!
  11. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    @Raindrop, don't worry, there is always a learning curve with new things.

when you click on a person's icon or name, a box pops up and there is a line under which is written Member Since etc,
    and above that line there is Profile Page Start A Conversation Follow Ignore
    If you click on Start A Conversation that will take you to a box where you can send a private message.
    I am going to send you one now, so you can see the little red "Inbox" alert at the top of the page, telling you you have a new conversation.
    :)
    Simon likes this.
  12. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    This was very helpful, Leela, So I want to THANK you!
    I think I may have finally figured it out!:smug:
  13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Just a thought - a trio or quartet of small photos work well together.

P.S. I love the postcard idea! :thumbsup:
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.