1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Out of Darkness Comes Light - mysteriously beautiful photographs from a bedbound sufferer

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 23, 2013.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Words and images both so profound, moving and beautiful.

What an uplifting and inspiring expression to share with us.

With much admiration and love, dear Penny, and the heart-wish for ever-increase in wellbeing.

Ren, Simon, beaker and 2 others like this.
  2. Jools

Jools

Japan
    Sunrise over Planet Duvet is intense and I can really feel the licking heat. Thank you Penny.

Simon, beaker and Bob like this.
  3. Chris_Dooks

Chris_Dooks

Ayr
    I know the artist who took these images and have spent many hours on the phone over the years trying to help her to get these images out there. And I failed - because I had my own work and have M.E. also. Arts officers never really understood how ill she was and how it would take either a whole lot of money and lots of one-to-one support to bring these things to fruition publicly. In the end, like with so many aspects of her life, and other people with severe M.E. / similar illnesses, she ended up ***just doing it***, not only releasing these images to the public, but also, by the looks of it, continuing to make new work in this way. I've never seen a more complete, simple and intelligent way of communicating a sense of worth through incarceration. This work needs to be seen by more people, so if you like it please do share. I've seen people on Facebook and twitter liking it - but it really helps if we share the images. I was so delighted on Christmas eve to come across not only this post from Penny but also discover the Phoenix Rising site also. This is really Penny's Mount Kilimanjaro and we should spread the word. It's one of the best Christmas gifts!

GracieJ, Svenja, leela and 8 others like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Hi Chris, a big welcome to Phoenix Rising. Great to have you join us.

5. Bob

Bob

South of England
    If anyone could clarify please.
    Penny's blog says:
    Am I right to assume that we shouldn't share individual images (e.g. on Twitter & Facebook) ?

6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

They didn't seem to mind sharing her work on social media, as long as she is mentioned as the artist - Copyright infringement happens when people download these pictures without permission and/or claim them as being theirs.
    Usually it is safe to attach the link of the origin of the work we are sharing- for instance the link to the page on PR forums.

Simon likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Please do share these photos on facebook and twitter :thumbsup:

Penny really wants to share these photos so people can get a window into the world of severe ME. So please do feel free to post an individual photo on facebook and twitter with a link back to this blog and mention Penny as the artist, as Leela says (maybe just the link on twitter, given the limitations).

The blog link is http://phoenixrising.me/archives/21305

Penny has been moved and touched by all the wonderful comments but is exhausted at the moment with Christmas so more from her later.

Thanks for all the shares, and Happy Christmas

Kati and Bob like this.
  8. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Cool! I think the bed deconstruction one is the best, but was hard to pick.

Simon likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Favourite photos?
    That looks like 2 for Planet duvet and 1 each for 'Journey to the centre of the futon II' & 'Bed deconstructing'

I'll add another vote for "Journey to the centre of the futon II" though I also love Light's umbilical
    and while I find "A river runs through me" disconcerting it does a wondeful job of giving severe ME a face.

Any other votes or nominations?

Jools and Bob like this.
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    It is difficult to chose favorites, but I will go with Sunrise over planet duvet, Light‘s umbilical, and The river runs through me.

Simon likes this.
  11. M_Dramatic

M_Dramatic

Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful, inspirational photos! I love to see people suffering with illness so severely turn around and create something beautiful in the midst of it all. I am moderately affected and live a somewhat normal life- but have seen people completely bedridden living a more fulfilling life- creating a charity, etc.,etc. Best Wishes and peace to youin this New Year!

Simon and rosie26 like this.
  12. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    "The bedsheets take flight I" is my favorite. Something about it seems so alive to me. Thank you so much for sharing and adding something beautiful to the world. Best wishes and thoughts of healing, (now and) throughout for the coming new year.

Simon likes this.
  13. RosieBee

RosieBee

UK
    Creative and moving Penny. Thank you for your words and the beautiful pictures.

Simon likes this.
  14. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    My favorite is three wishes.......reminds me of a dream I had one night of three stars flying out of the constellation Pleiades and left me with a peaceful feeling. I am truly moved. There is so much more than meets the eye.

Simon likes this.
  15. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Stunning, beautiful work. Is Penny on 500PX? She should be; of course, that would take another person's help and support to do so. I have photographer friends who would find the composition and lighting for these amazing.

When does the full-color full-size coffee table book get released?? I know, I know... Lost in the facetious question is the hope that it happens. I want some of these hanging on my wall as large prints.

"A river runs through me" is my favorite. So many layers of meaning. We ARE the river, we are life.

Thanks, Penny, for proving much so beautifully about human worth and dignity.

Simon likes this.
  16. nasim marie jafry

nasim marie jafry

Hey Penny, Your photos are beautiful. Thank you. All good wishes, NASIM

Simon likes this.
  17. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    I love your photographs, Penny!!!
    We know you are there.
    Forebearance

Simon likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Penny's scribe here, replying on her behalf:

Yes, Lynne, I'd go as far as to say the process was transformative.

Thank you for your blessings - I included '3 wishes' hoping everyone would make some - remember to make yours!

"The bedsheets take flight I" was originally called "The Ba Bird takes flight" but was changed to fit in the with flow of this exhibition. I like to think of it as its esoteric name! The Ba Bird was an ancient Egyptian foreunner of the phoenix. I hope this helps to deepen your enjoyment of the image.

Nope, not on 500px! I'm so glad you connected deeply to 'A river runs through me'. It was a hard one to share as I was so very ill when I took it, but the way people have received it makes me glad I got over my shyness!

19. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Thank you Simon, for carrying the messages of light. And thank you Penny for your shining openness.

Simon and Ren like this.
  20. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    It is alive then!

The Ba Bird is new for me - thank you for sharing. And keep fighting a good fight!! - for you and for our collective, a band of bau, an aria of canaries, a myth of phoenix.* We fight for each other - thank you for sharing your strength.

Thank you, Simon, too!

(* "bau" for plural of ba - found online; "band" borrowed from "band of brothers"; "aria" and "myth", I found to be existing collective nouns for birds. :))

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Simon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.