1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Our Ancestors slept in 2 short cycles--not one 8 hour "chunk"

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Sushi, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Your Ancestors Didn’t Sleep Like You

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/
    Dan_USAAZ, Roy S, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Interesting. I often sleep in that pattern.
    merylg likes this.
  3. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    This article got me thinking about the whole idea of "normal sleep." I put a lot of pressure on myself to solve my "sleep problem," and for the longest time that's meant I've got to sleep through the night. This is pretty silly, given that the last time I slept through the night was sometime in the '90s.

Yes it's crazy to wake up every hour or two, but maybe it's equally ridiculous to insist that success only = 8/9 hours of straight sleep. I'm rethinking my assumptions, to include things like less sleep at night and a really deep nap. Or an hour of meditation where I stay silent inside if a nap just isn't happening. The idea is to accept this as perfectly normal and fine for me. Replacing the idea that this is a stop-gap until I'm fixed.

I'm still working on waking less during the night. But my notion of 'normal' has broadened considerably.

"Nearly one in 10 people in the United States suffers from insomnia" ( http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/clinics/sleep/sleep_disorders/insomnia.html). I just don't see how they can call it abnormal if 10% of the population lives with it.
    Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.