• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ostojic: Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction: a myth or reality?

mango

Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction: a myth or reality?
Ostojic SM1.

Author information
1Faculty of Sport and Physical Education, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad 21000, Serbia School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade 11000, Serbia).

Clin Sci (Lond). 2016 Aug 1;130(16):1407-16. doi: 10.1042/CS20160200.

Abstract
Beneficial effects of physical activity on mitochondrial health are well substantiated in the scientific literature, with regular exercise improving mitochondrial quality and quantity in normal healthy population, and in cardiometabolic and neurodegenerative disorders and aging.

However, several recent studies questioned this paradigm, suggesting that extremely heavy or exhaustive exercise fosters mitochondrial disturbances that could permanently damage its function in health and disease.

Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction (EIMD) might be a key proxy for negative outcomes of exhaustive exercise, being a pathophysiological substrate of heart abnormalities, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or muscle degeneration.

Here, we overview possible factors that mediate negative effects of exhaustive exercise on mitochondrial function and structure, and put forward alternative solutions for the management of EIMD.

KEYWORDS: DNA deletion; aging; athletes; exhaustive exercise; peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ co-activator 1-α (PGC-1α); reactive oxygen species

DOI: 10.1042/CS20160200

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27389587

barbc56

Beyond the basics, I don't fully understood the mitochondrial issue. If someone has a good short science based summary I would be interested in seeing it.

While this study looks like interesting, I haven't had a chance to look it over it in detail. Anyone have access to the full study? Someone cited a source for accessing full studies behind a paywall but of course I can't find it. I look forward to other's take on this..

I'm thinking the mitochondrial issue is controversial, even in the medical community But like I said my knowledge is limited.

Thanks @mango

Last edited: