Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ostojic: Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction: a myth or reality?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by mango, Jul 10, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction: a myth or reality?
    Ostojic SM1.

Author information
    1Faculty of Sport and Physical Education, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad 21000, Serbia School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade 11000, Serbia).

Clin Sci (Lond). 2016 Aug 1;130(16):1407-16. doi: 10.1042/CS20160200.

Abstract
    Beneficial effects of physical activity on mitochondrial health are well substantiated in the scientific literature, with regular exercise improving mitochondrial quality and quantity in normal healthy population, and in cardiometabolic and neurodegenerative disorders and aging.

However, several recent studies questioned this paradigm, suggesting that extremely heavy or exhaustive exercise fosters mitochondrial disturbances that could permanently damage its function in health and disease.

Exercise-induced mitochondrial dysfunction (EIMD) might be a key proxy for negative outcomes of exhaustive exercise, being a pathophysiological substrate of heart abnormalities, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or muscle degeneration.

Here, we overview possible factors that mediate negative effects of exhaustive exercise on mitochondrial function and structure, and put forward alternative solutions for the management of EIMD.

KEYWORDS: DNA deletion; aging; athletes; exhaustive exercise; peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ co-activator 1-α (PGC-1α); reactive oxygen species

DOI: 10.1042/CS20160200

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27389587

ahmo, ScottTriGuy, Effi and 1 other person like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Beyond the basics, I don't fully understood the mitochondrial issue. If someone has a good short science based summary I would be interested in seeing it.

While this study looks like interesting, I haven't had a chance to look it over it in detail. Anyone have access to the full study? Someone cited a source for accessing full studies behind a paywall but of course I can't find it. I look forward to other's take on this..

I'm thinking the mitochondrial issue is controversial, even in the medical community But like I said my knowledge is limited.

Thanks @mango

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    ScottTriGuy and Johannawj like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.