• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Organic, gluten-free site in UK

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
The bread looks nice, although I'm not so keen on the prices. And the sample box seems to be temporarily unavailable.

I've seriously downgraded bread since giving up gluten, just because most of the breads are a horrible sticky consistency once they're being chewed. To use a Scots expression, 'It pure gies me the boak'. However, Sainsbury's have done two nice breads that I've tried. One was actually a roll - a pair in a vacuum sealed pack. The other was a sourdough bread. On the whole, I'm not sure I miss bread all that much, though I do like cheese on toast. I've been making better and bigger lunches rather than sandwich snacks I might have often had in the past. Sometimes it's too easy to make a sandwich. And it also means I'm eating less butter and cheese which has done wonders for a throat problem.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The bread looks nice, although I'm not so keen on the prices. And the sample box seems to be temporarily unavailable.

I've seriously downgraded bread since giving up gluten, just because most of the breads are a horrible sticky consistency once they're being chewed. To use a Scots expression, 'It pure gies me the boak'. However, Sainsbury's have done two nice breads that I've tried. One was actually a roll - a pair in a vacuum sealed pack. The other was a sourdough bread. On the whole, I'm not sure I miss bread all that much, though I do like cheese on toast. I've been making better and bigger lunches rather than sandwich snacks I might have often had in the past. Sometimes it's too easy to make a sandwich. And it also means I'm eating less butter and cheese which has done wonders for a throat problem.
I'm currently having Fria Grova for sliced bread (one slice a day), which is pretty nice, and Schar Panini Rolls, which are also nice, and since starting occasional glutamine again am tolerating them much better. I was getting terrible bloating, which I didn't have for some time after going gluten-free, but it's so hard to know what is causing what. It could be aspects of the illness or the time of year, of course. It's so frustrating trying to figure things out!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
+1 vote for the Schar paninis. One of those, bit of cheese, but of salad, maybe a raw carrot and an apple ... nice lunch.
I find that about every other, or maybe one in three, of the loaves of that have holes inside in the bottom half though! I like them with vegan cheese or pate (e.g. mushroom).