• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ordered 23andme, waiting for results. What test should I ask my doc for?

chilove

Hi guys,

I posted awhile ago about needing help with MTHFR, histamine, protein and food intolerances, etc and several of y'all were kind enough to offer to help if I could get some test results to show.

I've been trying to stay offline due to my EMF sensitivity but I did order the 23andme test and hope to have it back within a month.

I can see my MD next week and ask for any blood tests I want. What will be helpful to ask for?

Thanks!

Audrey

helen1

Hi Audrey,

You've probably had some of these checked but if not, these can be very useful to know:

full thyroid panel not just TSH
cortisol with the 4 point saliva test (I know you said blood but this is a pretty important one and saliva is the most accurate taken 4x in a day)
sex hormone levels including DHEA
homocysteine
electrolytes
MCV (B12 or folate deficiency marker depending on other levels)
insulin, fasting and non-fasting

All the best.

UM MAN

I order my own blood tests through PrivateMDLabs site, which uses LabCorp.
4 months ago I ordered the "Ammonia Plasma" test, but I do not see it listed any longer on their site.

The interesting point for me is, I am CBS homoz, pee 5 times the sulfate than normal people,
but my ammonia was 51 (27 - 102).

Bluebell

Hi Audrey,

I was in the position of figuring out what blood tests to get 2 weeks ago -- after I got my 23andme results back. I was trying to be relatively comprehensive, yet still not spend too much money (because I don't have insurance or a doctor).

To find what sort of tests were recommended, I searched this website and widely on the internet, and made a long Word document of all the various recommendations. I then tallied the "votes" and came down to a list of what many people agreed on, what seemed most relevant to my symptoms, and what was not too expensive for me to even consider (like the $900-a-pop tests are).

If it might give you some ideas, the tests I ended up taking were:
Celiac disease autoantibodies including Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG), IgA
Complete blood count with differential - CBC
Comprehensive metabolic profile/panel - CMP
DHEA-S (sulphate)
Antinuclear antibody - ANA
C-Reactive Protein - CRP
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate - ESR
Ferritin
Iron - % saturation
Serum Iron
TIBC/UIBC
Lipid panel (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglyceride)
Free T4
Reverse T3
T3 uptake
Thyroid Antibodies: TPO Thyroid peroxidase antibody, Thyroglobulin antibody
Total T3
TSH
Urinalysis
B12 serum
D3 (25-hydroxy)
Folate serum
Homocysteine
Methylmalonic acid - MMA

Please note that several of those tests I ordered specifically because a legitimate medical website said that they are recommended for people who are newly diagnosed with the vision problem of glaucoma. This probably does not apply to you.

Also, I had reason to think that I might have celiac disease, and 23andme said I have a 3-times greater chance of having it than the average person, so I took that panel.

Note that if you are testing your thyroid, often "reverse T3" and "free T3" do not come in the normal thyroid panel, but are considered to be valuable. I paid extra for the reverse T3 test and my result was abnormally high, so this was very good information and I'm glad I got it. I did not pay extra for free T3 because I didn't know how important it was until I'd already had the tests done. So you may want to ask your doctor to add them to your thyroid panel if they are not already included.