• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oral Probiotics to Clear Your Head!

maddietod

I've been taking the iflora oral and nasal probiotics for a week. Post nasal drip has disappeared, and I feel like more air moves through my nose. I imagine this means there was swelling or fluid somewhere that's decreased.

At the same time I've experienced massive amounts of itchy eyes and occasional vision problems. I'm hoping that this is a readjustment of the fluids in my head - I should know in another week or two.

Last edited:

alicec

Thanks @Asklipia for bringing us this info. Have only just caught up with this thread.

I have a different brand, same ingredients sitting in my fridge but haven't yet got around to trying it.

Had gum problems a long time ago but all had settled down for quite a few years. In the last 6 months or so I starting to get a quite localised problem where the gum is receding making one tooth very sensitive. The dentist says its just a problem of ageing.

I'd forgotten about the oral probiotic. I'll start it next week (have just gone off all probiotics in preparation for a uBiome test). It will be very interesting to see if it can do anything for the sensitivity. If it could help with mental clarity well that would be a miracle.

Asklipia

@Asklipia Did re-establishing your B2 levels have lasting effects on your health--sleep and pain levels? I'm still in early days with this, only 1/2 FMN so far, but slowly increasing and already some absolutely positive sleep results. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yes B2 has helped me and the results lasted. I am not taking any supplements now, have not for most of last year I think (difficult to remember, my life has completely changed several times in between!).
For the last year or so, absolutely zero pain, good sleep and increasing amounts of energy.
I believe I am getting all the Bs I need from food and the probiotics I take. In the beginning there was a lot of dumping, oxalates and otherwise (@maddietod also from the eyes, it is only now starting to get better after six months of red itchy eyes and on and off blurry vision :(:().
The good news today is I have a new doctor, who decided he needed extensive blood work to fill in my file since he does not know me. I do not give details, but that was about six test tubes, I suppose they cannot take more at one go! :eek:
It all came back ABSOLUTELY NORMAL :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons:, which was never the case all my life!

Good luck to all!
:angel: Blessings! May all the girls in the world (and the boys too) be happy and healthy today! :angel:
Asklipia

Oci

Yes B2 has helped me and the results lasted. I am not taking any supplements now, have not for most of last year I think (difficult to remember, my life has completely changed several times in between!).
For the last year or so, absolutely zero pain, good sleep and increasing amounts of energy.
I believe I am getting all the Bs I need from food and the probiotics I take. In the beginning there was a lot of dumping, oxalates and otherwise (@maddietod also from the eyes, it is only now starting to get better after six months of red itchy eyes and on and off blurry vision :(:().
The good news today is I have a new doctor, who decided he needed extensive blood work to fill in my file since he does not know me. I do not give details, but that was about six test tubes, I suppose they cannot take more at one go! :eek:
It all came back ABSOLUTELY NORMAL :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons:, which was never the case all my life!
Asklipia[/QUOTE]
What wonderful encouraging news, Asklipia. I would like to get all I need from food too. Can you please tell me what sort of diet you are following for such great success? Thanks!

jepps

Thank you @Asklipia for posting this, what a good idea! I have gum issues and sensitive teeth as long I can think, and I will try this and post about results.

alicec

A further update on the effects of the oral probiotic on my problem tooth.

The inital reduction in sensitivity has continued, but there is always a residual amount present and from time to time there is a flare-up. I've come to realise that if I keep the twice-daily dose of the probiotic next to the problem tooth, the flare-ups are diminished.

Last week I went for a regular dental check-up. The dentist tells me that there is now a crack evident in the tooth. She is going to try to repair the tooth - something which may or may not succeed.

My interpretation of the effect of the oral probiotic is that the immediate and on-going beneficial effect probably comes from soothing of the receding gum. The crack in the tooth is probably responsible for the on-going sensitivity which can be exacerbated eg by chewing in certain ways which slightly unalign the now separated parts of the tooth.

If I really concentrate the probiotic on the area, it can help the flare-up but it is asking too much to expect the probiotic to completely overcome the problem of the cracked tooth. Maybe fancy dentristry will help, maybe not. I might lose the tooth in the end.

Still the probiotic is definitely helpful.

leela

I've been taking the iflora oral and nasal probiotics for a week. Post nasal drip has disappeared, and I feel like more air moves through my nose. I imagine this means there was swelling or fluid somewhere that's decreased.

At the same time I've experienced massive amounts of itchy eyes and occasional vision problems. I'm hoping that this is a readjustment of the fluids in my head - I should know in another week or two.
Could you say what nasal probiotics you're taking @maddietod ?

I've just started the iFlora, so nothing to report yet.

maddietod

Could you say what nasal probiotics you're taking @maddietod ?

I've just started the iFlora, so nothing to report yet.

iFlora. I finished the month, and I've stopped the nasal one to see if the gains had anything to do with the probiotic. I'm continuing the iFlora oral because I can tell it does something - my teeth are whiter.

Asklipia

The label for EvoraPlus is seen clearly here. Only 30 mints to be taken once a day. It does says 600 Million CFU Probiora3® for each.
Whereas your iFlora has the same count (for the two daily mints?). Hard to say. Maybe it is best to spread the intake along the day?
Now I am sorry I wrote this and cannot edit it, as it is too late.

The real label for EvoraPlus mentions only 100 million CFU, maybe for each of the 3 probiotic strains included.
Meaning it is exactly the same content per tablet as the iFlora Oral Care.

Richard7

Having read this I included some Therabreath oral probiotics and life extension throat probiotics in my last Iherb order, the iflora was out of stock, and started taking the therabreath on friday.

I had a sore throat on Saturday morning but have persisted and have found my head unusually clear.

Strange thing is that this really makes sense, the pneumonia which may well have started this cascade to CFS in 2000 came after about 6 months of sinusitis and pharyngitis.

And a sore throat is a pretty common CFS symptom, so cleaning up the bacteria in the mouth sinuses and throat seems sensible. I just did not think it would have such a big effect on my clarity of thought.

Thanks @Asklipia

Richard7

And my test of clarity was this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ttern-for-prime-numbers-a6933156.html#gallery

Not really difficult, two of the are essentially the same, three are really easy. I suspect they were assembled by a journalist who did understand them or did not try to solve them.

I found the 1st easy on friday. The third was not hard but time consuming on saturday, but I was able to do all the rest on sunday.

This morning I woke up feeling that I was a continuation of the person I had been before CFS. I was putting clothes on the line, and having some issues with a body that would not behave, but I could feel my old mind at work.

I hope this lasts.

Jimbo39

About a year ago, I had all my infected teeth pulled as well as alagams removed. This really helped my sinus problems. However, I still have my root canals (can't afford to address them right now) and have sensitivity.

When I water pic my teeth, my nose starts running. To me this really shows the oral/sinus connection. I read that bacteria and toxins can go directly into your brain via the olfactory nerves. Is there any valadation to this? Scary.

I'll try the I Flora too.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Interesting, @Asklipia. I have both gum and sinus issues.

There is also a product on iHerb that contains ProBiora3, seems to be the same price, but shipping might be cheaper:

Sedona Labs, iFlora Oral Care, 60 Probiotic Mints

I am going to try it.
Thank you for posting this.

I was able to get free shipping and this probiotic has helped with sinus infections and a recurrent problem with sinus congestion and itching in my ears.

I can't remember where I saw it, but hasn't some researcher identified abnormalities in the Microflora of the ear,nose, throat area of ME/CFS sufferers?

Jimbo39

I had to have a wisdom tooth pulled about 10 yrs ago. I am very suspicious of the empty space it left though. It gets itchy from time to time (esp. if I take a glycerine based herbal extract :cautious: ).

Humm. Generally when a molar is extracted the dentist does a bone graft. In any case the bone should eventually fill the cavity.