The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Oral herpes manifestations. Do you have them?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Owl42, Mar 22, 2016.

?

What is your relationship with herpes?

1. I have never had an oral herpes

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. I've got a lot of oral herpes, more frequently than most people

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I've had some oral herpes all my life in a normal fashion

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Owl42

Owl42 Psychedelic bird

Mexico
    I've seen a discussion in a CFS group about having or not oral herpes manifestations, I personally have never had one in my entire life and it looks like most of us have never had it or have too many of them.

What do you think of this? Does this point to a bizarre response to herpeviruses? I think we could all get some interesting info from this poll and maybe doctors could use it.

2. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

To clarify, "oral Herpes" means having cold sores.

3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I tested negative for HSV 1 and 2.

4. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    I tested positive for HHV-6 recently (and in the past) and have never had a cold sore. My father used to have them, however. Not to say there was anything illicit going on there! :lol: Only that they're in the family. And yes, my doc said just yesterday when I saw her for other things that this was the cold sore herpes.

I do have mouth/tongue issues, though, which came about after years of zantac and a dose of antibiotics. Possibly bacterial. Doctors have not been able to test for it and just shrug it off.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Annie Gsampel

Scotland
    I answered 'all my life in a normal fashion'.

Except that: I used to get cold sores fairly frequently as a child and teenager, less frequently in the early years of ME but in the last 25 years, I think I've had one outbreak, perhaps two, and certainly nothing in the last 10 years until very recently - I've had two outbreaks in the last six months.

Webdog likes this.
  6. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    Like @Scarecrow , I had "normal" cold sores (once or twice a year) starting at age two, so I've been told. Post-ME, I didn't have a single cold sore for the first 22 years. Then, I had two "doozies" during two-weeks of extreme stress. Since then (a period of six years), not one.

7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I have never had an oral herpes in my life, yet strangely I test IgM+ for HSV 1 & 2, which is more evidence that my immune system is just in complete chaos/hyperdrive cranking out antibodies IMO.

8. Owl42

Owl42 Psychedelic bird

Mexico
    About the fact that many of us don't react to herpes infections, I bring you this article which talks about a deficent response in CFS patients to EBV. Maybe it can be extended to many herpeviruses? What do you think?

http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/03/1591/

9. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    I had my first cold sore in 2005 ( shortly after military basic training....hmmm). I only had one outbreak after that. Since CFS it's been several times a year :(. Lately, I've been wiping my face with diluted tea tree oil as soon as I feel a tingle and this has been effective in keeping the sores away.

See more popular forum discussions.