• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oral Glucose Tolerance Test

globalpilot

Hi all,
I haven't been posting here lately but I want to report a finding that may be affecting my CFS.
I have had normal fasting and random blood sugar levels as well as normal HbA1c levels throughout the many years I've had CFS. However, recently I did a 2 hour glucose tolerance test which showed a high glucose at 2 hours and low insulin (less than 1/2 of the bottom of the range). So it looks like I have an insulin insufficiency. Looking back I see that 12 years ago I had a glucose tolerance test showing normal glucose levels yet insulin levels bouncing at the bottom of the range. So the low insulin occured first. This may explain why I always felt so fatigued on a low carb diet - not enough insulin to get enough carbs into the cells. I am waiting for my appointment with the endocrinologist. I am curious to see how insulin helps me, if at all.
I don't think this is the cause of my illness by any means but rather a downstream affect of it.
All this to say it may be worthwhile to get a glucose tolerance test (with insulin measured as well) and/or to buy a glucose meter and test your glucose at home.

A.B.

Problems with blood sugar regulation are regularly reported by patients with ME/CFS, but I have never seen this acknowledged in the literature. Many of us had abnormal tests so this is not a misinterpretation of symptoms.

Although I'm not sure if low insulin on its own means anything.

@Jonathan Edwards wasn't convinced last time we discussed this.

Last edited: