August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

options for testosterone off-insurance

Discussion in 'Hormones' started by SwanRonson, Feb 14, 2018.

1. SwanRonson

SwanRonson Senior Member

Alabama
    My testosterone (free and total) is always low or just barely within normal range each time it's checked. The last time it was checked it was 105 (ref range starts at 100) so insurance wouldn't cover the prescription for Androgel. Does anyone have experience/recommendation buying testosterone replacement without insurance coverage? That $600 per bottle price tag is a no go.

I'm really wanting the gel so I can have more control of dosage (low and slow).

Just looking for advice from anyone in the same boat on how you did it. Thanks!

2. *GG*

*GG* Moderator

Concord, NH
    My Dr prescribes me Clomid/clomiphene citrate at 25 mgs 2 to 3 times a week. Think that raises my T, I also take DHEA and pregnenolone. Not sure if the later are necessary for higher T. They might be to balance other hormones etc..

GG

3. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

I also had low-end-of-normal testosterone levels. My doctor referred me to a mail order compounding pharmacy that was able to supply the cream for something like $25 a tube (full cost, not a copay) vs the $600 Androgel. It ended up that it had no benefit for me and wasn't worth the side effects, but I fully expect the Androgel would have been no different. You might ask your doctor about a compounding pharmacy, or search on line for one yourself.

Learner1 and *GG* like this.
  4. imitate-past-reign

imitate-past-reign

Second compounding pharmacy. My shady for profit TRT clinic was only $200 a month.

T alone was exceptionally rough, the entire treatment was, consider a very small dose of anastrozole weekly to see if you tolerate it.

5. SwanRonson

SwanRonson Senior Member

Alabama
    I've been afraid of that. Just replacing hormones seems like a roll of the dice since your body's equilibrium has it down for a reason. That's why I wanted the gel and not the shot or pellet since I could start really low and see what happens before doing something that would rock my world for weeks.

Did you have any direct side-effects?

6. SwanRonson

SwanRonson Senior Member

Alabama
    Are you happy with this protocol in general?

7. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

There's plenty written on the long term side effects of testosterone replacement so everyone can make up their own mind on that. The more or less immediate side effects that I had were sinusitis type stuff. I stopped and started a few times to test it, so no doubt that it was the testosterone.

8. *GG*

*GG* Moderator

Concord, NH
    Seems to work for me, I have trimmed some fat and put on muscle in my upper 40s :)

GG

See more popular forum discussions.