• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opted out of Cervical Smear Testing in ^2006 and yet STILL being harrassed by NHS!!!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@peggy-sue
ah well we'll agree to disagree, I've met some of the nicest consultants whilst going private and some of the most arrogant and cruel on the NHS. Our experiences colour our opinions.
No smarm - definitely no chocolate biscuits, no frills, just a bit of respect and politeness which is sorely lacking in the NHS.
Of course we know their limitations - they're not set up to deal with emergencies...

peggy-sue

On the other hand, the private hospital is very small - it's just a mansion house really, they don't have so many patients to deal with, so the odds of them removing my spleen or giving me a double masectomy rather than shoving a camera where it doesn't belong by accident are slightly reduced.:thumbsup:

Thank-you so much for the link to Dowsett's thing, @golden !
I've bookmarked it for printing out.
More oomph to add to the Grace Charity leaflet about it.

Last edited:

golden

@peggy-sue
ah well we'll agree to disagree, I've met some of the nicest consultants whilst going private and some of the most arrogant and cruel on the NHS. Our experiences colour our opinions.
No smarm - definitely no chocolate biscuits, no frills, just a bit of respect and politeness which is sorely lacking in the NHS.
Of course we know their limitations - they're not set up to deal with emergencies...

i got a blood test done privately.

It was a Beautiful experience. :) lol

golden

@PS

my link didnt work. Trying again. If this doesnt work i googled for anaesthesia and M.E.

http://m.hfme.org/site/mobile?dm_pa...64caff6fb1c49aadc35de9&fb_sig_network=fw#3322

" *In addition to physical activity, cognitive activity and orthostatic stress patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis are also very likely to relapse with anaesthesia and need extra care during all stages of surgery. This is well-documented.* The articles below give more information on many of the different issues to be aware of regarding anaesthesia/surgery and M.E. In summary:
* Surgery for the M.E. patient should be avoided if at all possible
* M.E. patients must advise their anaesthetist and doctor of the problems M.E. patients face with anaesthesia (and that their body will not react normally to it in a number of ways) so they can be prepared for this (and educated about it)
* M.E. patients may also want to make their doctors aware of the characteristics (and severity) of M.E. generally (see: What is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?
)
* Patients should also inform the doctors about their orthostatic problems so doctors can avoid placing them in positions which will negatively affect their blood pressure and heart-rate during and post surgery. Patients should also advise doctors of any other relevant problems eg. Known chemical or drug allergies or intolerances etc.
* The M.E. patient should be hydrated prior to surgery and additional saline administered as needed
* Less anaesthetic will often be required than normal for M.E. patients. Doctors/anaesthetists should start with a smaller dose than usual and then add more only if needed
* Caution is required with muscle relaxants and M.E. patients
* M.E. patients may need higher doses of pain medications
* Certain drugs may need to be avoided by those with M.E. (eg. histamine releasing drugs, adrenaline containing injections in dentistry)
* Certain common drugs may be replaced by other drugs that are more suitable. For example, adrenaline containing anaesthesia in dentistry can be replaced with adrenaline and preservative free Prilocaine HCL
* Respiratory functions of M.E. patients should be carefully monitored during surgery, along with cardiac function (these are the two areas most likely to be problematic in these patients)
* Magnesium and potassium supplementation may be required prior to surgery and supplements such ashigh-dose vitamin C
may be of use before and after surgery (though vitamin C should be avoided the day of surgery)
* Patients should tell their doctors about all herbal medicines they are taking, as well as prescription medication as some of these can adversely affect surgery/anaesthesia
* Longer recovery time should be planned for with M.E. patients as relapse caused by surgery and anaesthesia is common. In some patients this relapse will be very severe and prolonged (perhaps also permanent in some cases; the previous low level of health is never regained)
* M.E. patients may want to consider wearing a medic alert bracelet in case they require emergency surgery and nobody is available to inform the doctors of their M.E. and the extra care that must be taken with regards to surgery and anaesthesia
See the articles below for more information on anaesthesia and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
To read more about all aspects of M.E. (and to view the references for the introductory text) see: What is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?
This fully referenced paper can also be downloaded in Word and PDF formats.
Doctors or other hospital staff caring for M.E. patients are also encouraged to read the following papers on this topic:
* Hospital or carer notes for M.E.

* Why patients with severe M.E. are housebound and bedbound

* The importance of avoiding overexertion in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Before reading this text, please see the notes below for more information on the terminology of M.E. and ‘CFS’ and why these are anything but synonymous terms.

Last edited:

peggy-sue

Michael went to Fernbrae to get his gastroscopy done privately.
He's got a serious work ethic and didn't want to take time off for it, he was able to get it done in the evening, I had to go to take him home.

There were frills on the bedcovers and choccie biccies on doillies, and a nice little cloth on the tray. :p

your link worked for me!

golden

Oooo frills :)

OK. Glad to see the link worked :) phew. As u will see by now i have made a dredful mess of the post trying to copy n paste and it wont let me edit it...

But i can go off and relax now :)

peggy-sue

So;
not only have I hi-jacked your thread,
I have put you through a whole load of unneccessary work and effort while trying to help me

I'm really, really sorry - but I really want to thank you too!
I'm not good at starting my own moan, and I've had a wonderful one.

Got loads out of my system, so I can relax a bit too.
Thank-you, @golden and @maryb
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
[quote="peggy-sue, post: 466153, member: 5492

There were frills on the bedcovers and choccie biccies on doillies, and a nice little cloth on the tray. :p
![/quote]

I guess its all connected to what the locals want:p:lol:

honestly I just saw a dermatologist, what a nice guy, he also works on the NHS at the Christie hospital with cancer patients, my hubby was impressed with him when he had a melanoma removed a few years ago and so was I.

I had a colonoscopy last year on the NHS - I felt like I was part of a factory farm, patients walking in to the theatre, being wheeled out, then sat in chairs, no beds for them. In theatre the consultant on being told by 2 nurses they couldn't get a vein to put in the sedative grabbed my arm roughly, said is there anything wrong with her!! was told I had ME, proceeded to bang the back of both hands roughly and jabbed a needle in, I was already shocked. The procedure then started and I was in hell, 2 nurses holding me down whilst I was moaning and trying to turn in so much pain. It was horrific. I was so shocked on getting back to the ward, the cancer screening nurse sidled up, are you okay, that was totally unacceptable I said to her, she skidaddled off never to be seen again. I was going to complain but was too sick for weeks after. I like your idea of carrying a letter about hospitals, never ever again.

peggy-sue

I haven't complained about the Western and how My Dad and I were treated. It's far too traumatic to think about the hell they put us though, I couldn't even list the horrors, it would take me right back, I'm almost in tears right now, just writing this - I couldn't put it all in writing.

But complaints do need to be made.

If the nurse that did my pre-op thing treated an elderly patient with the same problems as me - short-term memory problems, meaning it's difficult to understand sentences with loads of clauses, and to consolidate things into long-term memory.

But an elderly person might be far less aware of the trouble than I am, and could well be pretending to understand, when they don't.

Not that it would have made any difference I suppose, given she wouldn't pay any attention to my telling her there was a problem...

But your horrible experience, @maryb is pretty much what I have seen happening in all the times I have been there recently.

The patients are just lumps of meat to be processed. I reckon there is no difference in attitude from the staff in private surroundings, they are just a bit more polite to your face because you're paying for it.

I've seen too many medics behind the scenes while working in Ninewells myself.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@peggy-sue
you're right we should complain but as we know its hard when you are sic or grieving. And yes I could have cried every time I thought about that op for months afterwards, the trauma it leaves behind is horrible. Not that I'm comparing it to what you suffered with your dad, that was terrible.

But one of the points I was making was that I'd had a colonoscopy privately 6yrs earlier (I had ME at the time) it was a straightforward procedure, I went out with sedation and was woken up afterwards and taken back to my room to recover, went home in about 5hrs as the meds stayed with me a bit longer than most patients. I went into that NHS theatre like a lamb to slaughter - imagining it would be the same........ugh

And as for that nurse you saw - condescending little twit...they really shouldn't be in the job. I'm sorry but I've heard so many people complaining recently about how they have been treated by staff in the NHS, as if they are doing us a favour when its us keeping them in jobs and paying for the privilege. Oh god I'm off.............

golden

So;
not only have I hi-jacked your thread,
I have put you through a whole load of unneccessary work and effort while trying to help me

I'm really, really sorry - but I really want to thank you too!
I'm not good at starting my own moan, and I've had a wonderful one.

Got loads out of my system, so I can relax a bit too.
Thank-you, @golden and @maryb
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

:)

You have definately not hijacked my thread :) no need to apologise at all

Good to hear u feelin' bit better about situation :) :) :)