• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opinions on de Meirlier

unicorn7

I have not seen many patients having succes with abx as gut treatment.
The overprescription of abx by incompetent doctors for minor or non-complicated infections really is a problem indeed, like ciprofloxacin - a nuclear bomb for a non-complicated UTI.

My case against long term abx for the gut is that we do not really know anything about the delicate and symbiotic relationships of the bacteria, vira and fungi. We don't know what's going to happen if we just treat the bacterial part of it, it just messes up the whole gut because abx is always broad-spectrum, it does not discriminate.
It's all extremely complicated and without more research i think patients following the treatment are just guinea pigs, misinformed guinea pigs.
Then there's the problem with growing antibiotic resistance, it's becoming a huge problem. What if you end up with a simple infection but you developed antibiotic resistance?

About UC, i do know one patient who developed UC from abx treatment with KDM. I myself have Crohn's disease and it got worse with 3 years of IV and oral antibiotic for misdiagnosed lyme disease.
You really don't want inflammatory bowel disease on top of you current condition, believe me.

I really agree with you, I think the microbiome is extremely complicated and using antibiotics is like dropping a bomb. On the other hand, I received serious antibiotics about 40-50 times in my live for the simplest infections, so compared with that the antibiotics I'm receiving now (rifaximine) is actually the smallest spectrum possible.

I know some people that got better with his treatment, so that probably helps to put my mind at ease. I know i'm a guinea pig, luckily I'm an informed guinea pig:lol: It's not an option for me to not try something.

I'm also a lot more concerned about other treatment that people are doing without any proof, rituximab for example is pretty dangerous.

I promiss, I will come back to the forum once I'm cured;):lol: