Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Opinions on de Meirlier

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by neweimear, Sep 15, 2017.

1. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Anyone with a known tick bie and M.E should probably jiust get treatment with an ILADS Dr IMHO

MEMum, Binkie4, Learner1 and 2 others like this.
  2. neweimear

neweimear Senior Member

I dont have a known tickbite

justy likes this.
  3. neweimear

neweimear Senior Member

Mel, I never recall a tick bite and I have no pain so that is why I query my weak positive result. Does lyme cause pain in most people? Thank you.

4. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    It certainly did in my case

5. Orla

Orla Senior Member

Ireland
    barbc56 and neweimear like this.
  6. Banana94

Banana94

Switzerland
    There are some reasons treating the gut with ABX like if you have SIBO and other things. He treated me 2 months with Azithromycin and now 3 month Xifaxan( poorly Absorbed). I feel no changes, only the No carb diet really helps me. I dont know if i can trust him but I take the Xifaxan for 2 more month because I tolerate it well. If he prescribes me more ABX after 5 months I will stop taking it. The risk to destroy the gut is to high...
    And (!) All my markers for leaky gut are negative, but I have digestion problems for all my life...

ljimbo423 likes this.
  7. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

KDM has tests for leaky gut. This is just one example of his lack of science and why I don’t trust him as leaky gut is a made up health condition with an unvalidated test. If you are diagnosed with LG, then the appropriate diagnosis and treatment needed is missing and this could cause serious harm.
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/leaky-bowel/

8. unicorn7

unicorn7

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-r...-is-real-may-be-the-cause-of-several-diseases

I have found a lot of articles about leaky gut ( look for hyperpermeable bowel) on pubmed, there has been some research on it in ME/Cfs as well.

Other than that, there is a lot of research going on in the microbiome area and Maureen Hanson mentions leaky gut in her presentations as well. She did some research on biomarkers like LPS and CD14.

I’m not too keen on antibiotics, but rifaximine is not absorbed, so it only works in the gut. Resarch has shown that is only works in the small intestine and that it doesn’t lead to antibiotics-resistance in the bacteria of the colon.

Seems to me that it is a pretty safe option. For me, it works extremely well. Got rid of all my bowel problems, my inflammation markers are going down and I’m feeling a lot better.

sb4, ukxmrv, ivorin and 1 other person like this.
  9. justy

U.K
    Intestinal permeability however and bacterial translocation, is what KDM diagnosed me with. These are just the correct terms. When KDM uses the term Leaky gut, he most likely is saying that as a way for a lay person to undertsand intestinal permeability. If you see this research on Liver function, you can see intestinal permeability and bacterial translocation is a validated diagnosis, which is believed to cause all manner of health issues

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4451427/

It was discovered not that long ago, that Zonulin had a role to play in intestinal permeability - being increased in people who show problems with the tight junctions in the gut

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21248165

In turn we can see that KDM uses a stool test to check for levels of Zonulin, which may indicate intestinal permeability

I had the above test done and it showed high levels of IGM against a variety of gut microbes in my blood stream. Bcaterial translocation is a known medical issue.

http://www.redlabs.be/ida

Do note that 'leaky gut' is used in quotation marks to show its colloquial use for intestinal permeability etc.

SuzieSam, sb4, merylg and 3 others like this.
  10. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    As stated before, sciencebasedmedicine is not a credible source of medical information. The folks who run it seem to be highly educated, arrogant jerks with their heads stuck firmly in the sand, with zero interest in helping any of us. They pan many issues, diagnostics, and treatments that may be quite beneficial for many of us.

The integrity of the intestines and microbiome are well recognized by leading medical institutions as important underpinnings to health:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.e...articles/The-Lowdown-on-Leaky-Gut_2239-1.html

And see attached, which gives a detailed description.

Attached Files:

SuzieSam, justy, Hubris and 5 others like this.
  11. msf

msf Senior Member

It was really kind of you to do all that research for barbc56

keenly, SuzieSam, Learner1 and 2 others like this.
  12. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Here is Maureen Hanson's study on the gut microbiome and intestinal permeability in CFS from June 2016-

Results

We observed elevated levels of some blood markers for microbial translocation in ME/CFS patients; levels of LPS, LBP, and sCD14 were elevated in ME/CFS subjects.

Levels of LBP correlated with LPS and sCD14 and LPS levels correlated with sCD14. Through deep sequencing of bacterial rRNA markers, we identified differences between the gut microbiomes of healthy individuals and patients with ME/CFS.

We observed that bacterial diversity was decreased in the ME/CFS specimens compared to controls, in particular, a reduction in the relative abundance and diversity of members belonging to the Firmicutes phylum.

In the patient cohort, we find less diversity as well as increases in specific species often reported to be pro-inflammatory species and reduction in species frequently described as anti-inflammatory.

Using a machine learning approach trained on the data obtained from 16S rRNA and inflammatory markers, individuals were classified correctly as ME/CFS with a cross-validation accuracy of 82.93 %.

Conclusions
    Our results indicate dysbiosis of the gut microbiota in this disease and further suggest an increased incidence of microbial translocation, which may play a role in inflammatory symptoms in ME/CFS.
    https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-016-0171-4

Jim

SuzieSam, Learner1, justy and 3 others like this.
  13. Nickster

Nickster Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    @Learner1 you are right on with the fact that the current medical community does not know anything about this disease and they don't seem to want to branch out to figure it out. So we need to be skeptical with their findings and recommendations.

It takes a person who specializes in this or willing to think outside of the box that we can somewhat rely on. It's tough to find.

We are riding a covered wagon into the new frontier of medicine. It's hard.

14. justy

U.K
    Hhah - you crack me up. Im here to help, where i can ;)

MEMum and SuzieSam like this.
  15. justy

U.K
    Thanks, Jim for this,

KDM also tests for LPS and sCD14 - he also considers these markers for microbial translocation, so clearly he and Maureen Hanson are in accordance with this.

Learner1 and ljimbo423 like this.
  16. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK

That site is ran by crooks who know nothing. That site has received funding from COCA COLA in the past. They are con men who do nothing but bash supplements, organic food and they promote GMO food.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    Thinktank likes this.
  17. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Yep. I have had direct run ins with them in the past. They are crooks. They literally promote statin drugs and one of them has written articles saying Organic food should be banned. Madness. Clearly those they serve profit from pesticides. Nobody should pay any attention to their crappy articles.

18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Hi Justy
    I have only just seen your reply. Thanks. What is an ILADS doctor please? I had almost decided to pay for a western blot but gp discouraged me.
    I do need the heart surgery soon, complex according to surgeon. Waiting for test dates. Will probably wait till after that but have no idea about ILADS. Have only started to look up Lyme this year. I have a number of comorbidities, non ME, so I have a lot of doctors but not ME related so a bit behind on the theory so ILaDS
    Could you just say a bit more @justy

MEMum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.