• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opine my SNPs, Please

UM MAN

Just got my 23andME SNPs. I knew I would be CBS, because of my high urine sulfate.

It looks to me that B9 is not an issue.

Ammonia blood test is my next step, to determine a base line.(per TRIFF's suggestion)

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Wow, I am not just typing into the wind...cool.

Well, the thing is that I consider other tests more important...the very first test you should run is either a homocysteine test or a SAMe test. The SAMe test is more expensive, but it is more direct. I use homocysteine to determine if my SAMe is likely in range as homocysteine is a more readily available test and it is cheaper.

I do not consider a serum B12 test worthwhile because what does it measure-? Not active B12. However I would measure uMMA (this is a different type of test, like Hcy, and will always be useful). This determines if you are getting enough aB12. I would measure D3 (inadequate D3 will affect the methyl cycle).

Then due to the CBS I would choose a hormone test to look at where I am at and if there is anything I could improve...such as DHEA, free testosterone, DHT, estrogen (estradiol?), 5-alpha-reductase levels, SBHG...stuff like that, but most important DHEA and free testosterone (in lieu of BPH symptoms, in which case you need to look at additional hormones). I find that DHEA moderates the CBS defects for me. I figure the testosterone it makes moderates the CBS directly per studies (lowers homocysteine, results in less ammonia production), and the estrogen it makes protects the NMDA receptors so that ammonia does not strip their magnesium gates and cause neuronal damage (per studies).

Then I would test ammonia.

You have to decide if you want baseline tests or if you want to start to improve and then test your new protocol. I would immediately stop eating more than 80g of protein / day (if you do), but that is, of course, a change.

When you decide you are ready relative to the testing, I would take 2g TMG / day. What you do about the other MTRR I am not sure. I don't actually remember if these affect mfolate or mB12. I personally take both. But I take the mB12 as part of an active B complex by Thorne: http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/18791 (2x/day) and the mfolate I take is: http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Folate-As-Metafolin-800-mcg-100-Tablets/13961 (1x/day).

I also eat 1 egg/day for the choline (liver health) and methionine and I keep my thyroid TSH < 2.0 to keep my cholesterol down (I don't worry about the egg). (I have a hard time keeping TSH < 2.0...it wants to shoot up in allergy season due to zinc deficiency).

I am never deficient in molybdenum, I have no idea what I eat that contains it, but I always have quite a lot...(enough that it could be the cause of my borderline copper deficiency). I assume you have had a competent hair analysis to detect the molybdenum deficiency? I would get one if not at www.tracelements.com (Sorry I forgot where I put the pathname of the online lab that will submit a hair analysis to tracelelemnts.com for you).

UM MAN

rs1801181 - CBS A360A (Risk Allele: T, 23andMe: A)

I am REALLY CONFUSED. It appears to me that different gene dictionaries say there are different Alleles
for the same gene. Am I CBS A360A AA or TT???? When I used the 23andme BROWSE RAW DATA feature,
and choose dbSNP, it says C/T. Why are 23andme posted alleles different?

UM MAN

Hey TRIFF, I just got back my lab tests.

Ammonia plasma 51ug/dL (27-102) To my surprise, not an issue.
Homocysteine plasma 5.3 (0-12) As a CBSer, and Supplementing BHMT, it would be low.
Vitamin D3,25-Hydroxy 71.9 (30-100) With 2 HomoZ VDRs, I’m adding 1000IUs D3 more.

Total T4 3.7 (4.5-12) I’m on 2grains NDT and 25mcg T3. Now that winter I is over, I
Total T3 186 (71-180) can lower my T3 to 18 mcg.
Free T3 4.9 (2-4.4)
TSH .204 (45-4.5)
LH 7.1 (1.7-8.6) All pretty good for 60 yrs old, EXCEPT, T3 is driving up my
E2 28.7 (7.6-42.6) SHBG, and KILLING my FreeT.
Total T 794 (348-1197)
Free T 12.7 (7.2-24)
SHBG 80.5 (19-76)
AST 31 (0-40)
ALT 42 (0-44) I don’t like this being this high.

But now I am stuck.
If I lower my T3 (to fix the SHBG problem), Then I need more T4 (and T4 triggers MCAD).

But, it looks to me, like, I have done everything I can for Methylation.

Lynn_M

UM MAN,
My local hospital is part of the Mayo Clinic Laboratory system. They use a reference range of 2.77 to 5.27 pg/mL for T3 Free. So according to them, your Free T3 isn't over range. I know Labcorp uses a range like what you posted.

Having a high Free T3 and a low Free T4 can be a sign of iodine deficiency.