• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opera star withdraws from Met production due to "an energy-sapping virus"

I can't be sure that this is CFS/ME-related, so I apologize if this post is inappropriate.

As an opera fan, I was interested to read about a casting change in the Metropolitan Opera's upcoming production of Wagner's "Siegfried." The tenor singing the title role has withdrawn because of "an energy-sapping virus," according to his manager, who went on to say that the singer caught a virus after eating seafood while on tour in October 2010 and could not shake the ailment. He stopped performing at the end of March to recover but still felt weak through Siegfried rehearsals. Hes physically exhausted, [said the manager] and tackling the title role of Siegfried as a return to the stage was a bad idea.

This sounded to me like it could be CFS/ME.

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/manager-cites-virus-as-reason-for-stars-withdrawal-from-mets-siegfried/

*GG*

Yeah, I was going to mention Ciguatera. I don't think this thread is inappropriate. Hopefully she doesn't come down with what we have and she kicks it soon!

GG