• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ontario, Canada

I have been off sick from work since January 17, 2017. I live in Ontario, Canada.

My EI illness is coming to an end on May 13 and I don't think I'll be able to go back to work, even part-time, due to the fatigue.

I was wondering what my options are for income when EI illness runs out? The government's site is SO hard to figure out. Also, I had opted out of benefits at my employment (we use my hubands). Does that mean I can't get long-term disability? What route do you recommend?

Any help is welcome. Thank you guys!

Old Bones

@Anana I'm sorry to hear it's unlikely you'll be well enough to return to work after your current illness payments end. This, unfortunately, is the experience of many of us with ME and/or related conditions.

Have you checked with your employer to confirm your opt-out included disability benefits? This is coverage you wouldn't have been eligible for under your husband's policy, so perhaps your opt-out only applied to extended health care and dental coverage. Did you sign anything that specified short and long-term disability in your opt-out decision?

I'm not aware of the situation in Ontario. However, ME/CFS patients have been successful applying for and receiving
federal Canada Pension Plan disability benefits. Here's a link that may provide additional information not included on the government's website:

https://www.mefmaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=425&Itemid=364

The National ME/FM Action Network may be able to advise you. Otherwise, a short consultation with a disability lawyer may provide the answers you need. Here's a link to the Ontario lawyer referral service, with a short quotation take from their website:

https://www.lsuc.on.ca/lsrs/

"When you request a lawyer or paralegal referral online, we will give you the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will provide a free consultation of up to 30 minutes to help you determine your rights and options, provided we have a match available."

Good luck.

Oberon

I have been off sick from work since January 17, 2017. I live in Ontario, Canada.

My EI illness is coming to an end on May 13 and I don't think I'll be able to go back to work, even part-time, due to the fatigue.

I was wondering what my options are for income when EI illness runs out? The government's site is SO hard to figure out. Also, I had opted out of benefits at my employment (we use my hubands). Does that mean I can't get long-term disability? What route do you recommend?

Any help is welcome. Thank you guys!

It's very unlikely you'll get long-term disability benefits if you have opted out of your benefits plan. You may be eligible under your husbands plan but the only way to know for sure is to have your husband ask his employer or contact your benefits provider to see what's covered.

Undisclosed

You could try to apply for CPP.

The only way you will get it is if you have a doctor fill out the form and state that you are disabled to the extent that you can't work ANY job on a regular basis. If you doctor says you could work a few hours a week you won't get it. You also have to fill out a section about what you can do on a daily basis. It wouldn't hurt to apply if you are too sick to go back to work. As an employee in any job in Ontario, you have paid into CPP, so you are entitled to apply for the benefits. There is also the provincial disability benefits (ODSP) but they are means tested and since your husband works, you wouldn't get them.