• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Online BPS Psych survey of CFS patients

They're also getting asthma, cancer, and healthy peoples, but one of the researchers (Maryanne Martin) never looks into asthma or cancer except to compare them to "medically unexplained symptoms" like ME/CFS, IBS, etc, to show how alarmist we are, etc.

Some very bad questionnaires are in this survey. For the psych ones, which clearly haven't been evaluated for appropriateness with a disease like ME/CFS, it might be more appropriate to give the answers that would apply if physical or cognitive disability wasn't a factor. For example, the "Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale" finds it indicative of depression if you agree with "I feel as if I have slowed down." Hence a more accurate response is likely to be produced if you mentally edit questions like these so that you get "I feel as if I have slowed down, but not due to my physical or cognitive limitations."

There's also some catastrophizing surveys, asking what you think your odds of getting sick, injured, or victimized are compared to other people. Psychs always ignore studies showing an increased incidence of cancer, etc, so any differences reported there will be attributed to catastrophizing. There's also a memory recall test, where psychosomatic symptom-focusers are probably expected to expend more time thinking about pain and fatigue memories than happy happy joy joy memories.

There are also questions about how strongly you believe exercise is harmful or causes symptoms. Again, it might help to insert something like "if I/they didn't have PEM" into the question. The questions about disability levels are pretty safe though.

So basically it's a huge stinky mess. Proceed at your own risk.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/H3ZGSMS

Enid

Think I'll give this one a miss Valentjin - "medically unexplained symptoms" seems to me to be precisely that - lack of biomedical research and therefore understanding as yet. Not really an area for psychos is it. Any Immunologists, Virologists, Neurologists, Endocrinologists amongst this lot.