• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ongoing cheilitis despite plenty of methylfolate?

chilove

Hi guys,

I've been on Fredd's basic protocol (without some of the co-factor because I can't tolerate many yet) for several months now and have been feeling pretty steady for several weeks now with slow but regular improvements in some areas (energy, mood) but regression in some others (overall inflammation and food sensitivities getting MUCH worse) that may or may not be related.

For the last five days I've had a painful case of cheilitis on one corner of my mouth that isn't getting any better and it's getting to be very annoying.

I'm taking 5000mcg of MB12 and 15,000mg of methlyfolate, zinc, calcium, magnesium, and potassium daily as well as one adb12 every few days .

Recent changes include starting Low Dose Naltrexone therapy about 10 days ago and also starting some supplements for leaky gut repair that do contain some ingredients I was concerned about....mainly amino acids because I don't tolerate them very well at all in supplement form usually. The LDN helped immensely with the overall inflammation and seasonal allergies.. I haven't been brave enough to test any food sensitivities yet.

Any advice on what might be causing it would be greatly recommended!

Thanks!

Audrey

Crux

My guess is that there is a disproportionately high amount of folate being taken. It could be disturbing the balance of the other B's, certainly. Also, other causes of angular cheilitis, in addition to folate, are B2, B12, zinc, and iron. I understand that you're taking the B's and zinc. Iron is a difficult subject....

Maybe the amount of folate is also disturbing the zinc? I'm thinking this because zinc is healing my angular cheilitis.

chilove

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the replies. I just got my hair analysis back from Dogperson and she believes I am deficient in B2 and manganese. It will be interesting to see if that helps at all. I've been curious about B2 since Brenda's post as we had similiar symptoms so I'm excited to get started on it.

The cheilitis is healing a bit but still a pain.

I'll let ya'all know how I get on with the B2 and manganese.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Audrey