• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Ongoing Australian study) Active video gaming to increase physical activity in adults with CFS/ME

Woolie

Thanks @Sasha, for a great interview.

Looks from their answers like this is the usual graded activity BS:

Sasha interview said:
Unfortunately, the issues surrounding the PACE trial have clouded some people’s thoughts regarding the benefit of physical activity for people with chronic conditions such as people with CFS. This is potentially detrimental given the indisputable research surrounding the health benefits of physical activity. Having said that, is also equally important to prescribe any increases in physical activity appropriately, and as such the study we will conduct uses self-paced physical activity progression principles, allowing each participant to be in total control of their progression, just like they would be in everyday life.

If its just like everyday life, they why aren't we well already?

What a waste of $60,000.

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Am I going mad, or is this just GET rebranded using a video game as the medium for exercise?

Have they not read the rebuttals of the PACE Trial? Who would think this is a good idea, now, in 2016?

As a former personal trainer, this would be great in my opinion for very deconditioned folk, but not us.

Maybe they are thinking that spinning a modern edge on it will encourage us to dismiss our illness beliefs via the medium of wii Zumba.

Fucking hell.

B

panckage

Am I going mad, or is this just GET rebranded using a video game as the medium for exercise?B
The author said that they were against GET and that exercise needed to be tailored to the individual. So the exercise amount in this study needs to be chosen and regulated by each individual patient iirc

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
The author said that they were against GET and that exercise needed to be tailored to the individual. So the exercise amount in this study needs to be chosen and regulated by each individual patient iirc

My knowledge of GET is that it is meant to be tailored to the individual? At least it was meant to be at my local M.E. clinic. So I don't see how this is any different? It's blatantly GET in disguise.

I imagine this will result in exactly the same outcomes. When dealing with what is fundamental an energy issue/ mitochondrial disorder, any exercise is potentially damaging as we all know hence the myriad of relapses.

I can see what they have tried to do, which fails simply on the fact that it is not based on any science and based on ignorance of research dating back to the 50's on mitochondria and pvf. The same pseudoscience we keep being peddled, wrapped up as something else.

B

Last edited: