• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Ongoing Australian study) Active video gaming to increase physical activity in adults with CFS/ME

taniaaust1

If they want to use video games, I think a more valid study would be the effect of video games on quality of life. I'm told by those with ME who play adventure video games, it's a great way to get out of the house!!!:rofl:

umm I hadnt thought of how it would work in that way, yes I agree it could make one feel "better" about ones life, many have been left without a hobby after getting ME. So this study isnt just about GET but the affects of doing something to make one happier.

of cause we know that dont fix ME either. So this makes this study all the better as when it fails to help, it could be used as science against the idea of putting more happiness in patients lives helps in ME, could be used against CBT.

I tried to use second life as recommended by some here as a way to excape my situation but gave up after a few weeks as it was just stressing me out as I had such trouble working things there (my avatar kept ending up naked and stuff). I ended up ME crashed on at least 3 occassions after trying to fix the mess I'd ended up in there. Too complicated for my ME brain.

Justin30

but many ME/CFS patients do need "down time" . We cant be constantly working all the time re in fighting injustices re our illness which is hugely stressful and also does bring crashes to many of us. For me PR represents most of my social life and having some form of social life is important if people dont want to end up spiralling into things like depression.

I personally dont see anything wrong with this study at this point as some things are better about it then most and we do need geninue non biased studies to help support that exercise in us in harmful or not helpful as most of us know, so this study could turn out to be good. (what makes you think that this one is going to be a biased one?)

I'll write back if I find they are doing anything which would biased this study eg if they are discluding the more severe group who may still wish to join. (Ive been involved in studies done from the University SA before and so far havent experienced a bad/biased towards ME researcher from there, I dont know this one but I think we shouldnt judging too fast just cause you may not like the study topic.

So what, her thoughts about this illness are probably wrong right now due to stuff she's read (thou on other hand this one seems well read as she knew to have the 2 day exercise test), well how about allowing her to scientifically get some results with a good patient group herself, she could end up being supportive about exercise is a poor therapy for us.

As far as Im aware this researcher isnt indoctunated in her views of us and this illlness yet (so all these judgement emails being sent her way could well turn her against us before she does this study. I really wish people would consider this).

Let people sent her some nice emails thanking her that she is only accepting those who have a poor 2 day exercise test into this study rather then stoking impressions we just go around attacking researchers (which I think is unfortunately going to happen here) who may be trying hard to do the right thing.

Unfortuately a section of our community is causing new researchers to our field to leave our field. what about unless we know what a researcher is like (eg a known wessely theory schooler), giving them and their study the benefit of the doubt. Let's help guide studies by being positive towards new researchers or otherwise you may end up causing these researchers to dislike us and more likely the biased you were expecting.

and before anyone thinks "this study is taking funding away from other ME/CFS studies.. As far as I know the ME/CFS researchers in Australia who apply for funding are getting their grants from somewhere or another. (all the ME/CFS research groups Im aware of here do currently have research studies on the go.. the group in Queenland, the Adelaide research group has study going, there is currently another ME/CFS study from universtity of Adelaide going on currently).

I havent heard any of them express that they cant do the study they want due to lack of funding here (sure they may have to fight to get funding but as far as I know these studies are all going ahead. Fortunately we have a couple of good groups doing fundraising for us including the Masons).

If anyone knows of a ME/CFS study here which isnt going ahead due to lack of funding, let me know..

I agree with you that PR is part of my social life as well. I dont discount this and feel it should be used as a form of human/internet interaction.

What I am saying is that of you can write responses like the one you just wrote to me than I would hope that people are actively engaging in writing emails and helping the comunity in a positive way.

By this I mean if there is a rediculouse study which this one is in my eyes....I hope people would stand up and say something to the foundations funding the research.

The Mason foundation though they funded the NK Study that just came out has just turned around and is now funding 2 studies:

• The study in the the thread
  • The study from UNSW on a training video on how to guide payients through CBT/GET
@taniaaust1 do you really want a training video that is your mainstay for ME/CFS treatment?

Do they really need to study CBT and GET more when the IOM reviewied 9,000 articles and renamed the disease Systemic Exercion Intolerance Disease (SEID)?

Exercion in ME is Mental, Physical and motional stressors can be anyone of the 3.

What about the P2P, What about OMF that found something wrong in the Mitochondria, what CDC and NIH studies that both state are biological in nature and agree that putting people under stressors could result in worsening in condition?

They have found so much evidence that over exercion is what causes decline some it causes quick decline others it is more slowly and other relapse and remit from exersion...

Do they really need to study CBT and GET more, and subject more people to this kind of crap in the name of science its a joke....

There are many on this forum who likely performed a CPET and have never recovered from it.....its a risky test for a poorly defined disease overall....that being said it shows the problem quite simply our "Anerobic System/Mitochondria" are dysfunctional or damaged or dysregulated causing system wide malfunctioning of the body.

All I am saying is that no further research needs to be done on testing CBT/GET/and inducing PEM......Its a given the IOM Proved it.

If a study does not look at brain, blood, work, tissue samples, or examinations of the biology of the disease its pointless.....

We need to figure out what the mechanism of the disease is not waste money researching what we already know......

"Are efforts should be focused less on chatting on forums and more geared to advocacy with whatever energy we have..."

My comments as stated above maybe extreme....but I feel as though we, myself included could use this energy in a productive way in promoting what we know about our disease when which is clearly stated in the IOM report and if studies do not align with this report and our own personal experience I feel we should speak out.

My last point that if you read and find the forum post that highlights a Poll that the majority with this disease deteriorate over time in a way normal healthy peope do not.

Please dont take what I say ofensively I just dont share the same view.

I will also not email this researcher i get tired writing the emails....When I do it is in a factual, unconfrontational way explaining what I know about the disease, and how my life has been impacted by the disease....thats all....

and the bottom line is that its devasted my life...overexercion lead to a lower level of functioning and more problems biologically in my body because I tried to do an ounce of what I once was able to do.......

Justin30

Can you say more? I am not sure what you mean. The Advocacy sub-forum should have all this information.

I know it does but I feel that if something is not always right up in your face we get distracted by other things etc.

This being said I dont know what this looks like, but i do know from being in a business that advertised very well, they constantly were reminding the consumer of the product trying to illicet an action. In this reference buy our product..

I get the fog so bad sometimes that when I go on PR I just enter a forum and start posting when really I could be doing something for our community as a whole...then posting later....

But I dont have advocacy always on my mind cause the reminder isnt there, or I get distracted, etc.

Just my thoughts I dont know what I would do without this forum...it has been beyond beneficial....

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
if something is not always right up in your face we get distracted by other things etc.
Most members read by New Posts. So the way to keep the issues right up in our faces is to post on advocacy threads--that pops them to the top of the post list.

Richard7

Frankly it is not a study I would want to participate in. I do not have enough energy to do the things I need to do. To do something like this one would need excess energy. Which might lead to a selection bias.

For a GET study it seems like it could be reasonably good. If 7 day accelerometry means that they will have they have a set of 52 week long accelerometry readings, that would seem a really good way of measuring physical activity outcomes, but I think mental activity can be just as draining, and would not be surprised if increasing one decreases the other.

I am also not sure how often they intend to measure the allostatic load, but the information could be useful given the research Newton has done on glucose uptake in muscles. Though given Jared Younger's research they should clearly be looking at leptin too, and ... .

I would think that it could have been good research if it was done in the 80s or maybe 90s.

But now it would seem to be only of rhetorical use, "see here is a really well done GET study and we can see that the outcome is that GET does not work". And this could I guess be a useful piece of information to have in an argument with a policy maker or doctor or something, but I would not be willing to risk anyone's health to attain it.

The underlying argument of all GET seems to be either that the poor patients have a false illness belief, or that they (we) are malingerers who are out for sympathy, attention, income without work or something of the sort. And the Newton studies on cultured muscles in vivo are surely enough to prove that one's mental state, perceptions or opinions have nothing to do with the mechanism of CFS.

That people are not convinced is down to bias not a lack of evidence.

taniaaust1

What I am saying is that of you can write responses like the one you just wrote to me than I would hope that people are actively engaging in writing emails and helping the comunity in a positive way.

there is a huge difference though. Some of us like myself mentally fatigue severely and can even ME crash due to mental fatigue if having to concentrate and focus (it was actually mental fatigue of studies which sent me bedbound for 9mths where I couldnt even stand up). My posts are coming to you at 67 words per minute, without any focused thinking or concentration at all, Im just talking to you as I would if I was in real life and expressing whatever is just coming from the top of my head.

I struggle immensely to the point they can very easily crash me when I do an advocacy letter as to do one of those properly, it needs thought put into the mail, poor advocacy mail can be harmful (the more I try to think, the more errors I make including saying opposite words to what I mean). I like to also include references to back up anything I say etc etc. It can take me a couple of months (and cause me worsened health) for me to do one good avocacy mail. Due to this I really badly struggle to advocate for myself (thou Im constantly having to try to do this)...I spend too much time now trying to advocate for myself and my situations around the ME.

They have funded great ME studies for a very very long time (this is why Im saying that people need to take care as we wouldnt want to damage them funding studies on this). They are responsible for the funding the Adelaide ME/CFS research group among other good ME/CFS groups in Australia (the Adelaide research group among other thing have done a lot of studies and still are doing them on our brains..though intensive testing. they've found we have decreasing white brain matter and that the longer we are ill, the more decrease we have)..

Justin30 said:
@taniaaust1 do you really want a training video that is your mainstay for ME/CFS treatment?

of cause I dont want any GET or CBT training videos as ME treatment. You are missing what Im saying,this study can help disprove GET. You seem to be set on that its going to end up supporting it. so once again I ask why do you think this? has this researcher done other studies which show GET helpful or which back that kind of view? this research may be what she needs for a reality check of our illness

Justin30 said:
Do they really need to study CBT and GET more when the IOM reviewied 9,000 articles and renamed the disease Systemic Exercion Intolerance Disease (SEID)?

and what has that done for us? Nothing at all. Ive seen no change at all with that name (I think that renaming was a bad move, Ive thought that from the start, ME doesnt need yet another name, things wont change with this illness just in changing its name). This name change hasnt and wont fix things for us.

What about the P2P, What about OMF that found something wrong in the Mitochondria, what CDC and NIH studies that both state are biological in nature and agree that putting people under stressors could result in worsening in condition?

They have found so much evidence that over exercion is what causes decline some it causes quick decline others it is more slowly and other relapse and remit from exersion...

Do they really need to study CBT and GET more,

yes and those with ME still get the CBT and GET crap pushed on to them..so til the day comes in which this isnt happening, I will keep supporting well done studies into these things with possible nonbiased researchers and with the right patient groups till the ideas around those things are dispelled.

There are many on this forum who likely performed a CPET and have never recovered from it.....its a risky test for a poorly defined disease overall

so true. but the ones doing this test as long as they are happy to do it and know the risks of doing it when they do it. It's their choice to go ahead and do such a test in the name of possibility getting some better research done. I support this test being done to make sure those i the study probably have ME, I'd rather being done then have ones who may not have our illness end up in our studies. For an important goal, Im willing to try to do such a test though I know the risks.

All I am saying is that no further research needs to be done on testing CBT/GET/and inducing PEM......Its a given the IOM Proved it.

Its not proved to all while there are people out there still sprouting the bullshit they do, some need more evidence. and till the time comes where it is generally accepted exercise is harmful to us it isnt proved to all.

If a study does not look at brain, blood, work, tissue samples, or examinations of the biology of the disease its pointless.....

have you read all this study or are you just commenting on it without reading it? This study is taking BP and heart rates of patients using a polar monitor.. and is also taking things such as glucose, insulin, cortisol, C-Reactive Protein and Interleukin 6 so Im guessing looking at changes with increased exercise. It has these things listed down as secondary outcomes.

Please read the outcomes area https://www.anzctr.org.au/Trial/Registration/TrialReview.aspx?id=370224&isReview=true

How many ME studies (using people who test poor on that 2 day testing) have been done in which insulin results where taken.. probably none! Unexpected stuff could come out of this research study you are trying so hard to stop. Dr Sarah Myhill has mentioned things to do with insulin and hyperinsulinemia in us so that could be relevent in some way to us. Hyperinsulinemia in us is an area Im wanting to see studied.

My comments as stated above maybe extreme.

understandable with all the bullcrap out there but you are appearing to have not even looked into this study and how they are doing it etc and the things they will be doing during it as you've missed reading the other tests and secondary outcomes they are doing during this study.

Last edited:

Richard7

@taniaaust1 I have to say that the insulin think piqued my interest too. I am still trying to get my head around the implication of Newton's study the uptake of glucose by the cells did not increase with exercise but did with insulin. I wonder what is happening with fats and proteins, and insulin and glucagon etc.

Given all energy issues with CFS this seems promising but I really need to get my head around the underlying science first.

Oh and the blood pressure and the heart rate stuff.

Ok I don't know, but a study looking at activity with orthostatic intolerance etc could be good.

but the two day exercise test ... we need a safer way to test for CFS.

Justin30

@taniaaust1 I think the CBT and GET stuff needs to go period.

They know CPETs induce PEM. NIH is doing this...

yes Insulin and Glucose have not been tested but this likely just a consequnce of the disease and failure of the Mitochondria.

Why are we repeating more studies with GET?

This study tests so few biological perameters.

What are they hoping to find....more proof of system wide dysfunction?

You have points that I agree with but overall this study seems to be another been their done that and is a waste money....we know we get PEM but Why? these tests will not show this....IL6 is one of many dysregulated cytokines....Glucose and insulin are interesting....KDM talked about this in 2012...

If the NIH was smart they would have talked to the likes of Myhill, KDM, Chenney, etc.

Even my Dr today said well if your energy production is screwed up so is every bodily function......I agree....nervous system to kidney function...

I just feel this study is wasteful when so many are suffering.....this will not capture....the sheer complexity of the illness...there are too few biological tests....

Just my opinion and like I said I am not emaiIng anyone on this one....

SilverbladeTE

ah huh....

implied-facepalm2.jpg

:p

I'm playing Fallout 4 it wears me out but yes lets me feel like I can still roam, do something, accomplish something, and, takes me out of a world I am heartily sickened with to a fair degree.
the Human world that is, IMHO lot of politicians etc should obviously have been neutered, maybe not at birth but definitely as adults
....with gardening shears!

Justin30

ah huh....

View attachment 15408

:p

I'm playing Fallout 4 it wears me out but yes lets me feel like I can still roam, do something, accomplish something, and, takes me out of a world I am heartily sickened with to a fair degree.
the Human world that is, IMHO lot of politicians etc should obviously have been neutered, maybe not at birth but definitely as adults
....with gardening shears!

Thank you for making me laugh....

Justin30

@taniaaust1

These may be more along thr lines of better tests that would delve deeper into issues with insulin and glucose possibly:

IGF Binding Protein-1 (IGFBP-1)

Clinical Significance

The concentration of IGFBP-1 is correlated with glycemic conditions. IGFBP-1 may be used for monitoring insulin responsiveness, as a marker for insulin-producing tumors, monitoring acute fluctuations in insulin action, and determining if poor glycemic control is due to inadequate insulin treatment or poor control of dietary intake.

IGF Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP-3)

Clinical Significance

Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins bind IGF-I and IGF-II with high affinity but do not bind insulin. Of the six distinct IGF binding proteins structurally characterized at this time, IGFBP-3 has been shown to be the major carrier of the IGFs, transporting approximately 95% of circulating IGF-I and IGF-II.
IGFBP-3 is growth hormone (GH) responsive. Thus, levels are high in cromegaly and low in hypopituitarism.
IGFBP-3 levels include poorly controlled diabetes.
The IGFBP-3 assay is useful in assessing nutritional status, since IGFBP-3 decreases during both caloric and protein restriction.

These are test that show more issues and the possibility of poor nutrient absorption like that of the Lipkin Study. I am actually suprised this has not been looked into further and studied. This may only be for a sub group though....

Mel9

I just looked at this study and see it's actually an Sth Australian study, so I will be going ahead and trying to enrol as I are in Sth Australia. Ive never had a 2 day CPET test done before so I'd love to know how bad mine will be or even if the POTS will put an end to it before it can trigger of a downfall in my results re the ME next day.

Can someone over here tell me what I need to convert the phone number given to to phone it as I always get confused by the 61.

"Australia
Phone
+61883022554 "

It is 08 83022554. I think.

Mel9

umm I hadnt thought of how it would work in that way, yes I agree it could make one feel "better" about ones life, many have been left without a hobby after getting ME. So this study isnt just about GET but the affects of doing something to make one happier.

of cause we know that dont fix ME either. So this makes this study all the better as when it fails to help, it could be used as science against the idea of putting more happiness in patients lives helps in ME, could be used against CBT.

I tried to use second life as recommended by some here as a way to excape my situation but gave up after a few weeks as it was just stressing me out as I had such trouble working things there (my avatar kept ending up naked and stuff). I ended up ME crashed on at least 3 occassions after trying to fix the mess I'd ended up in there. Too complicated for my ME brain.

I have never participated in these sort of games but imagine having a naked avatar must be stressful!

Valentijn

We do need more good exercise studies showing that we are not improved by exercise and this study using a good patient group will probably show this.
I agree that some of the endpoints are fairly good. But I doubt she will actually end up recruiting many patients with ME. The two-day CPET would probably put someone at your level of severity in the hospital, and in bed for a few weeks. Most moderate patients would be too sick to follow study protocols after completing the 2-day CPET.

At best, she'll end up with a bunch of mild cases, but I bet the CPET part of recruitment will be a clusterfuck of epic proportions. I strongly suspect that 2-day CPET recruitment requirement will be dropped, or will be operationalized in a manner which is not compatible with the actual 2-day maximal CPET findings in ME patients. And it will possibly even be used to contradict those 2-day CPET findings from other studies.

Her definition of "CFS/ME" shows complete lack of understanding:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is characterised by profound and debilitating exhaustion, resulting in chronic physical inactivity.

And she suggests not that physical activity is harmful, but that the physical inactivity resulting from "CFS/ME" is harmful:
The detrimental effects of physical inactivity, potentially related to inflammatory pathways (allostatic load) and the body’s ability to cope with stress, further compound the health risk of the disease.
She is focusing on presenting selective information which seemingly provides evidence against a biological condition:
The aetiology of CFS/ME is unclear, and recent research has focused unsuccessfully on individual inflammatory and immune biomarkers.

Her focus on measuring "allostatic load" might sound impressive, but it's just a different form of psychobabble. It looks at "wear and tear" (anatomical or physiological damage) as a result of the body's response to external sources of stress. It's basically the theory that emotional and/or neurological stress result in physical illness.

Valentijn

I have a Wii. Before I got sick, I used the active games for aerobic exercise, mostly Dance Dance Revolution. It was completely impossible after I came down with ME, even at the very beginning when it was milder.

I played the older inactive console games for a while. But even those were too difficult eventually, due to the finger movements required and the need to grip the controller.

This study is just ridiculous. It evidences no understanding of ME/CFS, nor that the state of ME research is at least a year past any possibility remaining that an exercise program is even remotely relevant or safe. The ignorance involved is astounding, and a researchers/instructor would have to pretty damned stupid to be incapable of learning anything accurate about ME with all of the resources now available online.

Justin30

I have a Wii. Before I got sick, I used the active games for aerobic exercise, mostly Dance Dance Revolution. It was completely impossible after I came down with ME, even at the very beginning when it was milder.

I played the older inactive console games for a while. But even those were too difficult eventually, due to the finger movements required and the need to grip the controller.

This study is just ridiculous. It evidences no understanding of ME/CFS, nor that the state of ME research is at least a year past any possibility remaining that an exercise program is even remotely relevant or safe. The ignorance involved is astounding, and a researchers/instructor would have to pretty damned stupid to be incapable of learning anything accurate about ME with all of the resources now available online.

Like I said a waste of money.......Im glad your brain works better than mine most of the time....

Get down to doing more real biological research and find ways not to hurt patients in the meantime..

Woolie

..lead me to looking up allostatic load. It's the new way of blaming everything on the stress response...
http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/2879/1/NCRM_workingpaper_0412.pdf
Yikes, @Sea, what a load of munbo-jumbo!
Daily stress and repeated stressful events over the life course can take a significant physiological toll on the body (McEwen & Stellar, 1993)
As far as I'm aware, there is no convincing evidence that psychological stress has any independent effect on health, once you factor out physical mediators. So, people under psychological stress often don't get enough sleep or don't eat well, or use more drugs or alcohol, etc. And of course all these things affect your health. But no-one, to my knowledge has ever demonstrated a direct role for psychological stress on its own. Not in chronic illness.

A lot of the "evidence" for this stuff is from animal studies, where the "stress" was sleep deprivation, or repeated electric shocks, or food or water deprivation (especially in maternal deprivation studies), or being half drowned and having to fight to stay afloat. All of which are much, much more than "psychologically" stressful. They're actually physically stressful. No psychology needed!

But then you get all the psychobabblers jumping on board...