• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One off great reaction to methylfolate

This happened in 2013, after trying it a couple of times previously and thinking it made me feel worse, I decided to give it another shot. The first day I was surprised that I tolerated 2x400mcg. The next day I took 4x400mcg in the space of a couple of hours and suprisingly I had a the biggest lift in mood I have had in during CFS, it was the happiest I have ever been in 10 years.

I ended up walking twice as long as I normally would, I was enjoying the music on my mp3 player a lot more, I felt really happy. It felt like my feel good chemicals were firing. After that though I never experienced anything like that again, despite trying many times by itself and with every co factor you could think of. I find it hard to believe it could just be placebo, considering my mindset was negative(thought that it made me feel worse in the past)

I also find other B vitamins work randomly for me, some times good sometimes bad, but never to the degree of above.

ahmo

It's not uncommon to experience euphoria when increasing folate. I had it happen a number of times, though it wasn't the norm. Fred might have explained the reason for this somewhere, I don't know, but he did describe it. It seems that the other B vitamins can be quite significant as co-factors. There are a few threads that have gotten into this, in particular one entitled B2 I love you, and another, No love for B2! I've just begun a new-to-me form of B2, FMN, a low dose sublingual. I'm curious to see how it affects things.

PeterPositive

I know the feeling. I have had similar experiences.
I have learnt over the years that it's very hard to correlate what one does with what happens.

E.g. I take a pill, then I feel better, ergo the pill did something.

More often than not it turns out that it wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Personally I seem to be more sensitive to the weather and seasons than anything I take. So during late spring and summer I have a surge of energy that is usually quite stable. If I take new supplements during those months I am usually tempted to correlate them with the improvements of symptoms and energy. But those changes are likely to set back when the good season is over :(

Bottom line, it's a fudgin' tricky business.

This is not to say that some supps are not working. Some really are, but so far I have been mostly wrong at evaluating how much it was the supplements and how much it was the rest, i.e. the 1000 other variables I don't even know about.

ETA: Placebo is not much about being deceived by some mind-trick, it's all of the other stuff that we can't take into account, that have a significant effect, be it the natural course of the illness, the weather, sleep, food, interactions, and all the complex physiological / biological variables...

Last edited:
I've found b12 & folate to be better tolerated with a higher niacinamide/riboflavin ratio in my home-made b-complex. Too much riboflavin can create some unpleasant effects, where I feel on edge and like I want to leap out of my skin (some people think this is hypermethylation--they may be right). Niacinamide and biotin helped counter this, riboflavin made it worse (tested and confirmed multiple times). It is a fact that b2 is a structural component of the folate processing enzymes and niacinamide is a cofactor, so the reason lies somewhere in there (and NADH/NADPH are almost ubiquitous, so it's no wonder a lot of formulations have niacin(amide) as the dominant b vitamin, although none so much as mine).

Jarrow's b-complex has a b3:b2 ratio of 5:1, and so does Freddd's recommendation. This is what I ran with at first. Now mine has a ratio of 40:1, and a 100mg serving provides 1.2mg riboflavin and 47mg niacinamide. This works much better for me.

I'm guessing this is one case where it's possible to 'unlock' a process that is normally passively rate-limited by what can be typically found in nature.

Ironically on another occasion I had a really positive experience with riboflavin, but that was because I'd been taking literally none for months. Never befriend just one supplement, or it will stab you in the back.

PeterPositive

My B complex has almost a 1:1 B2 to B3 ratio: 100mg B2, 130mg B3, although I take 1/4 of that:
25mg FMN (active B2)
32mg inositol hexanicotinate

Plus I take extra 25mg NAD. I have never been able to figure out the conversion rate between B3 and NAD. The Source Natural's NAD bottle says 25mg of NAD is 125% the RDA, which sounds like the B3 RDA (~20mg).

Is all niacin/niacinamide turned into NAD (and relatives), at least in theory?