• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One more diagnosis: lactose intolerance

After a H2 test i was just told I have lactose intolerance.

It doesnt really seem to be a serious condition, but I would rather like to know why also this? Why have I never had problems with milk and cheese and now, after getting CFS, I dont tolerate lactose anymore, am diagnosed with asthma, dont tolerate any meds anymore, get more and more new neurological symptoms,...

Is it because i took so many antibiotics? But then why do I get it now years after taking them?

I wish someone could connect the dots/ put the pieces together. But instead of this every doc only sees his small medical field, gives more and more diagnoses, but leaves me sick as I am.

Tito

75% of the world population is lactose intolerant. It has to do with your genetic makeup. The vast majority of people naturally avoid dairy products as a result and have minor problems if they drink milk. But because we are very ill, diagnoses are more thorough and things like that are picked up. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance. The lactose free diet did not change a thing to my situation.

roxie60

After a H2 test i was just told I have lactose intolerance.

It doesnt really seem to be a serious condition, but I would rather like to know why also this? Why have I never had problems with milk and cheese and now, after getting CFS, I dont tolerate lactose anymore, am diagnosed with asthma, dont tolerate any meds anymore, get more and more new neurological symptoms,...

Is it because i took so many antibiotics? But then why do I get it now years after taking them?

I wish someone could connect the dots/ put the pieces together. But instead of this every doc only sees his small medical field, gives more and more diagnoses, but leaves me sick as I am.

I have the exact same questions??? And no answers......I could have written the same exact words to describe my situation. Why indeed if so many of us describe nearly the same experience why cant and answer be found that ties it all together with a resolution.

Most adults develop lactose intolerance at some stage in their lives because they don't need milk like babies do. You slowly stop making the enzyme that splits lactose into the 2 simple sugars needed by the body etc. Bacteria in the gut just love the taste of lactose which makes you fart, diarrhoea etc.

Its when you are born lactose intolerant (like me, killed my brother @ 4mo), that the real big problems arise - severe allergies, asthma, eczema, farting, diarrhoea etc.

Know how feel, especially when it come to meds.

Tito

Yes, drugs can indeed be an issue for severely intolerant people as lactose is often used as an inactive ingredient. If the active ingredient is say 0.1 mg and the tablet weighs say 1g, it means there is 999.9 mg of something else. That something else is often lactose.

Aileen

Know how you feel. My problem isn't lactose (at least not yet) but a host of other things have piled on since I got this. Can't get rid of them so far either.:(