• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One million dollars

Tammy

One million dollar IOM contract. Can someone please enlighten me or can it be summed up in one word.....GOVERNMENT. Does this amount seem excessive............or is it par for the course.....considering?

Last edited:

alex3619

The general consensus amongst many advocates and many leading ME doctors is it was unnecessary. We are now in the position of its done, what do we do next? There are problems that are now coming to light, but also opportunities and benefits. We need to sort through them all and figure it out.

I can think of better things to do with a million dollars. Like funding the Lipkin microbiome study. Or validating some of our physiological candidate biomarkers to see if they are reliable and even diagnostic.

Nielk

The IOM reviewed a million dollars from several government health agencies.

The members if the panel only got paid for their expenses.

Gamboa

I shouldn't really comment since I am not a US citizen so it is not my tax money being used but here I go anyway.....

I think it has been well worth the million dollars already just in media coverage alone in the last 48 hours. For comparison, how much gets spent on commercials during the Superbowl? One million dollars is actually quite paltry for the media blitz we have received overnight.

In addition, I think the report is very comprehensive, covered a lot vast amount of information and will be invaluable to us moving forward. Sometimes you have to "spend a bit to earn a lot". In this case, I think it will bring in more money, more attention, more doctors and researchers, and on and on down the line.

From a British citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada, thank you to the citizens of the US. I think your tax dollars, in this case were well spent.

There has not been any media blitz in Britian. The Mail is the only national paper to have reported on IOM/SEID:
Headline: 'Chronic fatigue IS 'a real and serious disease': Doctors draw up new guidelines on how to diagnose the condition'

Whereas all the UK national papers plus the BBC reported the 'Fear of exercise .. gets in the way of CFS treatment.. CBT/GET ....exercise is the treatment' . The UK media 'CFS story' reporting of a couple of weeks ago.

That WAS a media blitz.

Last edited:

Aurator

There has not been any media blitz in Britian. The Mail is the only national paper to have reported on IOM/SEID:
Headline: 'Chronic fatigue IS 'a real and serious disease': Doctors draw up new guidelines on how to diagnose the condition'
There may not be much UK media coverage but there are currently over a thousand comments on the Mail article.

These two caught my attention:

"NONESENSE! - In my previous job I fired people who claimed they had this, and guess what, after the first few people went the number of other people complaining about it dropped to zero! - that should tell you something."

"Get out of bed and get on with it. There are millions of people with worse who are not moaning about it. No wonder there are so many people on disability in this country."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2949369/Chronic-fatigue-real-disease-Doctors-draw-new-guidelines-diagnose-condition.html#ixzz3RYgX4DxZ

Yes, Aurator. And loads of Comments going on about their chronic fatigue or 'cf' from causes that are definitely not ME (CCC/ICC/Ramsay).

Its will take more than the IOM and SEID to stop the trivialization and the onslaught of people who are busy and tired believing they have ME - or to stop UK doctors misdignosing.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
In addition, I think the report is very comprehensive, covered a lot vast amount of information and will be invaluable to us moving forward. Sometimes you have to "spend a bit to earn a lot". In this case, I think it will bring in more money, more attention, more doctors and researchers, and on and on down the line.

Agreed!! The ammunition that we gained from this report will bring us much more $1,000,000 down the line

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Agreed!! The ammunition that we gained from this report will bring us much more $1,000,000 down the line
I hope it does work out.

I hope to start reading the long report soon, but indications are that this is something I will feel comfortable giving my doctors, the Senate doctors, my elected officials, and so on. And something they will find useful (though I may have to pick out relevant bits for them, as they might not want to read the entire report--though I hope once I've done that, they would assign an aide to read it).