Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

One Last Goodbye: Sometimes Only a Mother's Love Can Help End the Pain

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by drjohn, Apr 12, 2011.

1. drjohn

drjohn Senior Member

Book by Kay Gilderdale
    to be published 14 April 2011

Watching her child die is the hardest thing a mother can ever do. But for Kay Gilderdale, saying a final goodbye to her only daughter Lynn was exceptionally painful: she'd played a part in her death. Lynn was just 14 when she was struck down by the crippling disease ME, leaving her paralysed and in constant agony. Over the next 17 years, she became desperate to escape her miserable existence, even begging her mum to help her die. So, one night, when Kay found Lynn attempting suicide, she was forced to make an impossible decision. Continue watching her child suffer or help her end the pain? Eventually, fighting her every instinct, Kay helped her precious daughter take a fatal overdose. But while Lynn was finally free, her mother faced a fresh agony - a possible lifetime behind bars. The highly controversial trial that followed opened a fierce public debate on assisted suicide. Is it murder or mercy? Here, in her heartbreaking story, Kay reveals the harrowing truth behind the headlines and the desperate lengths a mother will go to for the love of a child.

Some places to buy:

From the ME Association
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/MEA-Order-Form-April-2011-use-this.pdf

may be useful if you want any other publication at same time.

Or directly from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Last-Go...9143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301607502&sr=1-1

W.H. Smith

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780091939144

Maybe other places too. Prices vary around 4.50 + pp.
    You may get pp free if you order a minimum amount, e.g 15 or 20
    (presumably similar in US and Europe)
    Why not buy 3 or 4 copies to give to friends and family.

Best wishes
    John
    drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
    ME Free For All.org

2. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Would you know if it is possible to get this book in Canada?

3. Min

Min Guest

UK
    Thank you for letting us know John, this has been on my Amazon wish list.

registering with and buying by clicking on Easyfundraising each time you buy something online in the UK raises funds for free for your chosen charity e.g. Invest in ME or ME Research UK

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/panel/

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks for listing this, John. Kay Gilderdale is enormously impressive. I'm sure her book will be of some help in our political situation in the UK.

Don't forget that if you buy via Amazon you can have part of the cost donated to MERUK or to Phoenix Rising - see my signature below for the links.

5. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

UK
    Sadly the issue of ME (i.e. why Lynn & Kay were in the position they were in) was almost completely absent from any debate.

6. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
  7. drjohn

drjohn Senior Member

Good idea, Sasha, My copy of Kay's book arrived in the post this morning, from W.H.Smiths, a day ahead of 14 April 2011, the published date stated.

8. drjohn

drjohn Senior Member

Pleasure, Min. Yes a good idea to raise funds too. My copy arrived today from W.H. Smith, one day ahead of published date stated.

9. drjohn

drjohn Senior Member

10. drjohn

drjohn Senior Member

It was, indeed, Garcia -- as I worried that it might be. However, they haven't reckoned with me and quite a few others I believe, who have no intention of shutting up about it, so long as there is breath in our bodies. Cheers John

11. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

UK
    Good luck Dr John!

12. Lucinda

Lucinda Senior Member

UK
    Finished reading this book today. Was heart breaking :(

See more popular forum discussions.