• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On the Morbid Fascination with Psychiatric Morbidity

Undisclosed

This is part of the postscript:

Thirteen years have passed since I wrote this. While much has happened in the interim, some of it good (scientific progress) and some of it bad (a brick wall of ignorance), the situation with the medical schools, residency programs, medical journals, and the average practicing physician has not changed much at all. The myth of psychological causation of ME/CFS is still very much present and the eyes and ears and minds of so many healthcare professionals remain closed despite the availability for over two years of a Primer (and other publications around the world) about the nature, diagnosis and managementof this terrible disease. Children and adolescents are still locked up in psychiatric units for some trumped up somatization disorder. Adults go misdiagnosed, mistreated, and dismissed. In the United States, most disappointing of all has been the near total failure of NIH to wake up and see to it that adequate funding, like at least 100 million dollars a year, goes towards basic and advanced research.

Excellent. This is the kind of thing that needs to go in national newspapers, not I was cured by (insert ridiculous
claims here).