May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

On Sufficient IgG Levels.

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Ema, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    There's been discussion on various threads about what constitutes "low" IgG levels and when it is appropriate to treat...I found this article illuminating on how the perspective has changed in the past decades.

What was considered sufficient 20 years ago in terms of IgG levels is no longer. Instead what is important is that the patient remain infection free.

I would encourage anyone with a history of chronic infections to have their IgG levels (total and subclasses) tested and pursue treatment with IgG if indicated. It can be a long and difficult process to find an immunologist that is properly trained in diagnosing immune deficiency (go figure!!) but can be very worthwhile in terms of treatment.

See more at: http://www.ajmc.com/journals/supple...se-of-immunoglobulin/P-3#sthash.Lp42jLod.dpuf

Improved IgG3 Levels and Reduced Infection Rate in a Woman With CVID Switched From Intravenous to Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin Therapy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Hutan, helen1 and SOC like this.
  2. Snookum96

Snookum96 Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    @Ema

Do you have any thoughts on which tests might be the most reliable or accurate? There are several different ones available and I can't find any comparisons regarding what's different about them.

3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ema
    so did you have the total and sub classes tested?

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Yes. I was low normal in total and below range in subclasses 1 and 3.

maryb likes this.
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I had low total and low subclasses 1 and 3.

And as some of you may know, I've been through 2 "allergists" to get a diagnosis and treatment. I call the "allergists" vs immunologist because their primary concern was asthma. One was too scared to use IVIG, the other, well he was willing, as long as I could prove my ME/CFS wasn't psychological. That went over well.

Try to find a clinical immunologist.

maryb likes this.
  7. msf

msf Senior Member

Now there´s a thought! Treating patients based on the clinical picture!

It will never catch on!

Snookum96, minkeygirl, helen1 and 2 others like this.
  8. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Doctors are too obsessed with lab results and not enough with how the patient actually feels

Snookum96 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.