• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On Eagles Wings: A Christian Perspective on M.E.

Old Bones

@Wolfiness Although the article @Barry53 posted the link to above may not provide a medical explanation for noise sensitivity which will convince your parents (as per one of the threads you started), it does include some excellent pointers on how people should respect the genuine needs of severe M.E. patients, especially around the issues of heightened sensitivities. You may find the information under the following headings useful, or at least supportive of your situation.

The basic principles behind Severe ME-aware care are:
Why a Moment by Moment approach is required
Maximising the Opportunity to Meet Need Tenderly

Timaca

Hi Barry53~ Your "On Eagles Wings" caught my eye because I know a Christian song that has those words in it. It is on YouTube if you want to listen to it. (I just did for memories sake) :)

As anyone with CFS knows, it is a hellish disease. Just today though, as I was driving away from the athletic club, I realized why I've gone through some of the hell I've been through. I spent more time talking with people today than actually exercising. I was sharing with them about what I've learned diet wise (I have multiple food intolerance issues). I realized that there is no way I could have helped them if I hadn't walked through the forest myself (and I'm still walking believe me).

I am a Christian and God has certainly heard me cry out to Him for answers to this illness. And He has seen my tears. But today, He showed me part of the reason I have what I have.......and I was so grateful to have walked through what I've been through....so I could offer some hope and direction to others.

I will also say, that today has been a very good day for me. That helps a great deal about being philosophical about being ill.....

Wishing everyone comfort when needed,

Countrygirl

Thanks for posting the link, @Barry53 . I particularly like the section highlighting that 'fatigue' was not historically not linked to ME. The section on severe ME and how patients are to be cared for is very good too and well worth reading.

SilverbladeTE

Personally I think one of the most obscene things about this damned illness is that it ruined my sense of the "spiritual".
Always had a very strong sense of that sort, especially after near death experience.

My own beliefs are a bit odd, and I find this line in the Gospel of St Thomas very important:
"Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."

I suspect that is literally true, that conscious minds caused what we think of as "God" to come into being (as a sort of zeitgeist of the consciousness of benign beings who had passed over), nor did God create the Universe as the spiritual and physical universes are completely separate.

So when we suffer illnesses that affect our consciousness, they interfere with our connection to the spiritual.
note that "consciousness" isn't purely the mind, it is more akin to "soul", the mind is the basic physical mechanisms as it were, where as consciousness is much more elaborate accumulation of who we are as people.