• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMI - Kaufman and Chheda departure

TrixieStix

Dr Kaufman was lovely and I had his full attention. Its a lean staff geared to helping us.
I've just learned from another PR user that Dr. Kaufman is accepting new patients and appts for new patients are available as early as July/August. Late last year when I made my first appt at Open Medicine Clinic neither Dr. Kaufman nor Dr. Kogelnik were accepting new patients. Only Dr. Chheda was.

StarChild56

@Forçe e Honra I would keep trying and the new clinic is open weekdays (9-5 pm) Pacific Time. Dr. Kaufman is out of the office next week through Thurs (but am certain he is still doing phone consults or scheduled calls if he had them). I suspect they are trying to make sure that established patients who already have appts and phone consults do not fall through the cracks and that they will start scheduling new patients as soon as they are able. I know they had some trouble with their new phone lines but when I called last week, I was able to reach Ellen so I would just keep trying until someone picks up (in case they are not getting messages). Don't give up hope and keep trying!

Thank you ever so much, totally makes sense and I am counting down the hours until 9:05 a.m. so that I can call again! It gives me hope when I truly needed it.

Gingergrrl

Thank you ever so much, totally makes sense and I am counting down the hours until 9:05 a.m. so that I can call again! It gives me hope when I truly needed it.

Good luck and I just called and scheduled a phone consult w/Dr. Kaufman for next Mon so I know Ellen is in the office. Am crossing my fingers that you reach her and can get an appt. I think there was a period last week when their new phone lines must have not been working. Keep us posted!

StarChild56

Good luck and I just called and scheduled a phone consult w/Dr. Kaufman for next Mon so I know Ellen is in the office. Am crossing my fingers that you reach her and can get an appt. I think there was a period last week when their new phone lines must have not been working. Keep us posted!

I got an appointment set for July 24! Thank you for the encouragement!

Vojta

Finally got confirmed my appointments by email. But I have problem signing to that Elation system. It apears they will not send validation code to any foreign mobile number??? I wanted to do everything through email because time zones and I have trouble with brain and speech progressing through afternoon and evening when they open and I have no one to call for me. Just additional stress I don't really need...

Gingergrrl

@Vojta I know they have international patients from all over the world so they will have to figure out a way to send the codes for the new portal to a non US cell phone or by email. Hoping you get it all sorted out and best wishes for your appt!

Learner1

Finally got confirmed my appointments by email. But I have problem signing to that Elation system. It apears they will not send validation code to any foreign mobile number??? I wanted to do everyt
Maybe it's best to wait until you're there in the office and you can work through setting it up with Ellen's help. There must be a way...

Vojta

I was able to get the code by email from Ellen. International patients don't be surprised that you have to ask for it. Elation can send only to total 10 digit number or something.

I do not know why they split but from pure speculation on my part, I suspect that the original OMI will be more focused on research studies and the new clinic will be more focused on direct patient care. Both are extremely important pieces to the puzzle and I see one as more of a macro focus and the other more micro. But I could absolutely be wrong on this and anyone please correct me if this is the case.

Hey all,

Sorry I've been delayed responding about my appointment. I was exhausted after the appointment and then we quickly started a new treatment for Lyme that is kicking my butt.

My appointment with Dr. Chheda was great! It seemed like everything in the office was still getting situated and the staff seemed a bit flustered from that, so forgive them if it takes a bit longer to hear back on things. Dr. Chheda spent the full time with me and answered any and all questions I had. She confirmed what some have been saying that the split from OMI was motivated by a decision to focus more on patient care while OMI is a bit more geared toward research. She said they hope to continue to foster a close working relationship with OMI and to ensure their patients have access to any studies happening with OMI.

One thing to note was that she didn't have access to my old OMI records...my appointment was so soon after the move that I didn't get a chance to complete the medical record release form. So be sure to complete that release form to have your records sent over in advance of your appointment.

Oh and the elation passport has been working well, though it's still missing some info. :)

Thanks for the update @khartson22!

Regarding Elation Passport, do you (or anyone else) know if the office has the ability to put documents such as lab results onto the portal? All I seem to be able to pull up is a Timeline tab which brings up messages and a Clinical Profile tab. So I'm not sure if this is a capability of Elation Passport the way it was with openmednet - maybe it's just not showing up for me since no documents have been added yet? I had labs drawn in May at the old office which I am anxiously waiting to see, and while it's understandable that the move has caused things to be disorganized at first, it's still been a bit frustrating trying to get a hold of Dr. K to find out what's happening....

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

My appointment with Dr. Chheda was great!

That is great news and glad that it went so well.

Oh and the elation passport has been working well, though it's still missing some info. :)

I am still getting used to the new system and it seems very different than Open Med Net. I don't have any blood work or anything in it yet that I need to check but I have been able to receive messages for other issues that were pending once I understood where to look for them!

TrixieStix

Dr. Chheda spent the full time with me and answered any and all questions I had. She confirmed what some have been saying that the split from OMI was motivated by a decision to focus more on patient care while OMI is a bit more geared toward research. She said they hope to continue to foster a close working relationship with OMI and to ensure their patients have access to any studies happening with OMI.

So the reason their giving for the split is that Dr. Chheda and Dr. Kaufman were required to spend time working on research in addition to seeing patients at Open Medicine Clinic and they simply don't want to be forced to spend any time on research anymore? I personally like the idea of my doctor being involved in research to some degree so I'm torn about whether or not I want to follow them to their new clinic. Ugh.

MEPatient345

I have found doctors who are primarily researchers are more concerned about their research than their patients. Mine pressured me to take part in a study which could have induced a crash, despite the fact that I told him I was living alone with no caregiver. I've also read stories on these forums about Kogelnik which made me cancel my appointment with him as I feared a similar attitude (could be right or wrong, total hearsay). I would take their wanting to be clinically focused as a good sign.

RL_sparky

Mine pressured me to take part in a study which could have induced a crash,

That's just dead wrong of them to do.

I've also read stories on these forums about Kogelnik which made me cancel my appointment with him as I feared a similar attitude

I've seen Dr. Kogelnik in the past. He does not pressure you. He lays out all your options and it is your decision what you want to do.

TrixieStix

I have found doctors who are primarily researchers are more concerned about their research than their patients. Mine pressured me to take part in a study which could have induced a crash, despite the fact that I told him I was living alone with no caregiver. I've also read stories on these forums about Kogelnik which made me cancel my appointment with him as I feared a similar attitude (could be right or wrong, total hearsay). I would take their wanting to be clinically focused as a good sign.
That's possible, but I've never been asked to participate in any research by Dr. Chheda and I've never seen anyone post anything about her being involved in research at Open Medicine Clinic. Perhaps Open Medicine is wanting to focus more on research going forward and have all their doctors who are seeing patients involved??? I think I will call Open Medicine Clinic and ask them if them what their plans are going forward. I feel like there is more to the story.

TrixieStix

That's possible, but I've never been asked to participate in any research by Dr. Chheda and I've never seen anyone post anything about her being involved in research at Open Medicine Clinic. Perhaps Open Medicine is wanting to focus more on research going forward and have all their doctors who are seeing patients involved??? I think I will call Open Medicine Clinic and ask them if them what their plans are going forward. I feel like there is more to this all (not in a bad way).

Gingergrrl

I think I will call Open Medicine Clinic and ask them if them what their plans are going forward. I feel like there is more to the story.

I suspect they are not going to tell you what led to this split and things like this are actually very common. I would stick with whichever doctor you feel is providing you the best clinical care and is advocating for you. For me, it was an obvious choice, as I live too far away to participate in the research, (beyond giving blood samples) and my doctor has saved my life more than once and I would follow him if his new clinic was in China LOL.

So the reason their giving for the split is that Dr. Chheda and Dr. Kaufman were required to spend time working on research in addition to seeing patients at Open Medicine Clinic and they simply don't want to be forced to spend any time on research anymore?

It was communicated to me more as they thought that Open Med Clinic was at times neglecting patient care in favor of a more research focus. She emphasized that all of her and Dr. Kaufman's patients would still have access to any research going on at Open Med.

Not all physicians are involved in research just as not all those who do research are involved in patient care. (I'm actually a medical researcher who doesn't see patients) I agree with ginger that it's best to stick with whoever you think will provide the best care.