• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMFScienceWednesdays-OMF-funded research: a metabolic ‘trap’ hypothesis for ME/CFS

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
On this #OMFScienceWednesday we highlight a new project that OMF is funding, which proposes a new metabolic ‘trap’ hypothesis for ME/CFS.

This project is just getting started under the direction of Dr. Ron Davis at Stanford University and Dr. Robert Phair, Chief Science Officer of Integrative Bioinformatics, Inc., an expert in computational modelling of biological processes. Drs. Phair and Davis have been collaborating for nearly 2 years on investigating mechanisms behind ME/CFS. In this project, they will test a new hypothesis that could help to explain some of the genetic and metabolic characteristics of ME/CFS patients.

The big data study of severely ill ME/CFS patients that we funded identified several genes that carry damaging mutations. Dr. Phair’s hypothesis, based on computational predictions, suggests that some of these mutations may slow down enzymes that process important metabolites required for our energy, brain function, and immune system.

If this is true, it could explain some of the symptoms of ME/CFS. Identifying interesting mutations is the (relatively) easy part, though – experimental evidence is needed to confirm their impact. During this project, the team will test how cells with these mutations carry out the relevant metabolic reactions, using special ‘tracer’ metabolites that can be easily followed as they are processed by the cells. These experiments will determine whether the mutations are indeed creating a metabolic ‘trap’ that could lead to the neurological and/or immunological symptoms of ME/CFS.

We’ll be happy to share more details as the results provide more evidence. Stay tuned!

Read more about Dr. Phair and his research: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Phair2

B

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The big data study of severely ill ME/CFS patients that we funded identified several genes that carry damaging mutations. Dr. Phair’s hypothesis, based on computational predictions, suggests that some of these mutations may slow down enzymes that process important metabolites required for our energy, brain function, and immune system.
This is fascinating! Is is premature to share with us what these mutations are and the possible mechanisms involved in processing these metabolites? I know that it is theorizing at this stage, but anything interesting or hopeful that we can "chew on" is good for us. @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Cinders66

Is it thought these mutations caused severe ME or were part of the process as we develop severe ME? Are those mutations only found in severe ME? Can anything reverse them?

Thanks for your time