1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Olympic Skier beat Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Sushi, Feb 8, 2014.

1. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Did you do antibody tests, or just PCR for Bartonella? I'm negative by antibody, so I think the doc is therefore not planning a PCR test. I'm wondering if that is reasonable, or if antibody tests often miss Bartonella.

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I did antibodies with Igenex but Ignenex only tests for antibodies on 3 strains of Bartonella (as I remember) and there are over 30 strains. I think Igenex tests mostly for the cat-scratch strains and those are not the ones being found most often in ME patients.

The PCR that that I had tests for many more strains. Galaxy Lab in NC is the Bartonella "king" (queen?) in the US I think. The PCR test I did was Redlabs.

Sushi

justy, SOC and merylg like this.
  3. paquito

paquito

Hi Joshi,

Yes I'm the pyroluria one, nice to see you again!

The test was antibodies, less than 40% accurate so really pretty useless, it came back negative.

Do you have any contact details for Dr Trevisan?

Cheers
    P

4. joshi81

joshi81 Senior Member

Rome,Italy,Europe
    Paquito you can phone to his secretary to take an appointment 040 3992056 that's her number.

5. Alexandru Matei

Alexandru Matei

I was also diagnosed with Lyme and co-infections in the summer of 2012, but I was suspecting something is going on for a much longer time. I just went through a horrible time lately, it's slowly getting better with treatment.

This is such a complicated disease, the co-infections are the hardest to treat (test are unreliable too) so it's hard even for doctors to treat it properly due to unreliable testing. Often co-infections are missed.

6. joshi81

joshi81 Senior Member

Rome,Italy,Europe
    Hi alexandru, wich testdi u run which came back postive?

7. end

end Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    She just skied today. It was just on NBC's rebroadcast. They mentioned that she had beat Lyme and that it was a triumph that she was competing. Unfortunately she fell, but she competed.

Sushi

Valentijn likes this.
  9. abporter

abporter

Austin, TX
    T
    Thanks for sharing Sushi. I just watched it and my eyes watered up several times. Skiing was the sport that I was best at and loved the most. It was encouraging to see that even though it may take years of treatment, it is possible to recover. :)

See more popular forum discussions.