1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Older people may be less tired [than people aged 16-24]: study"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just came across this piece on a study. The article is perhaps not that exciting overall, but thought I'd highlight a couple of bits I thought were a little interesting.

I don't think it is discussed enough in the ME/CFS field that fatigue can have various components to it. For example, if one has a low mood, one may be tired but if one's mood lifts, one may not have that sort of fatigue. However, other sorts of fatigue may remain.

rosie26, WillowJ and biophile like this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    One things that could be contributing to this is that young people are not getting enough sleep. I don't have the studies to hand, but it's shown that teenagers don't fall asleep early at night: the do sleep better late at night (like starting between 11 to 1 or 2 am). Yet they have to get up early for school. So they are chronically sleep deprived.

Nonetheless, "how... people are able to use their time" is a critical point to experiencing symptoms. If people avoid stuff they know they can't do or that will make their symptoms worse, they'll have fewer symptoms.

Problems with estimating is important, too.

And as @Dolphin said, some things have many components or terms like 'fatigue" are used for a variety of different things from various causes, and this makes surveys and discussions using such terms complicated.

rosie26 and Dolphin like this.
  3. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I wonder how much the adjustment into adulthood affects the young person too. New responsibilities, decisions to be made, work, marriage, children.

4. rwac

rwac Senior Member

Or... our entire generation is a little sick.

See more popular forum discussions.