Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Old snp to new snp changed variant?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Paralee, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:07 PM.

1. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    I was checking out an old snp and it changed to another snp so I checked it out and it shows a different variant. What do you do when this happens? Go with the new one? Thanks

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Which SNPs are they?

3. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @Valentijn , it was from an old list from 23andme and it was in the list of '#Differences between user's SNP calls and the rCRS'.....'MT, rs41400048, 250, C, T, the C is mine and the T is the ancestral. I found the one it had been incorporated with rs1116836 but it has a different variant. I'm having trouble with all those old snps, the ones I've tried don't come up in 23andme any more.
    Evidently the whole snp set up is going to change this year, I wonder what 23andme will do.

4. Valentijn

@Paralee - rs1116836 isn't the new version of the same SNP. It's on an entirely different chromosome. rs41400048 doesn't exist as an rs number anymore, but that SNP probably isn't problematic, since it's not on a gene.

5. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @Valentijn , evidently a lot were replaced, incorporated or deleted in Nov, 2015. I hope they didn't have info I needed, but the enormity of checking each snp is beyond me, anyway. At least I have a little headway with your program but it's still out of my league.
    They are fixing to rename our snps, aren't they? I get the feeling when things are changed starting September, 2017 our rs #'s are going to change to other numbers because of advancements in identifying more genes, etc.

6. Valentijn

rs numbers are from dbSNP, so 23andMe can't change them. It's also unlikely that dbSNP will change any that aren't errors.

Paralee likes this.
  7. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Thank you @Valentijn , I sure feel better. I haven't learned this stuff yet, thought I was going to have to swing into something completely different.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.