1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Old autism paper/AZT

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Daffodil, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks Daffodil.
    It's a massive parallel to the ME situation right now, isn't it.
    Some researchers are saying that anti-retrovirals might be helpful for ME patients because of their immune-modulating effects, rather than their anti-viral action.
    Specifically, some researchers are saying that the anti-retrovirals dampen the immune system, and that ME patients have an over-active immune system. This ties in with the article saying that AZT lowers levels of interferon alpha, "a protein involved in fighting infection".
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yea but calming the immune system wouldnt raise the nk cell function (i dont think). mine went from single digits to 60 on the HIV meds.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I don't know enough about this to comment, but might it be possible that a calmed immune system might lead to a more efficient immune system (i.e. a better functioning immune system) which might lead to an increase in NK cell function?

But they don't seem to know exactly what the mechanism is, that helps ME patients. It all seems to be guess-work at the moment.
  5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Stubbs was careful to say that he only tried AZT because of the immune effects ... the poor doctors were so scared to even imply its an infection even back then. i tried to find out the AZT dose he used but was unable to. I cannot find an email for Stubbs either. Perhaps he is retired. Wonder if he used a low dose or the dose that was being used for HIV back then, which was probably high.
  6. Ian

Ian Senior Member

AZT was a chemo drug. But it was deemed too toxic even for dying cancer patients. The long term consequence of taking AZT is immune system failure, and death.

See more popular forum discussions.