• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oil pulling with green tea extract

Hi,

I wanted to make this post to lend some information which may help others with tongue, mouth issues. I have had some persistant white tongue, maybe thrush you would call it, probably from what I assume is Candida overgrowth, but it could really be anything. During my gut treatment, it got worse, and I started oil pulling with coconut oil to ease the discomfort and slight irritation.

I did some reading and saw EGCG from green tea extract, and the other polyphenols, are effective at certain concentrations as a anti microbial. Since incorporating green tea extract into my oil pull regimen (swish 15-30min, ideally daily, followed by peobiotic gum or lozenge), my tongue feels better. Still have slightly white tongue and some grossness, but it seems to be better controlled and maybe slowly improving, also when I have some inflammation or swelling or canker sores, it offers some immediate relief. The other benefit is that green tea extract has been studied for oral cancer prevention, and shows some promise when used as a rinse. I am not sure what concentration is required for an effective treatment, so have been experimenting.

I am sure there are a number of other beneficial compounds which would exert similar effects, but many people already have green tea extract in their supplement arsenal. I use about 750mg-1g of loose powder in my mouth along with a few tablespoons of raw coconut oil. It tastes pretty horrible, but one gets used to it. I had been taking loose green tea extract powder for some time anyways, and was prepared for it, just be prepared for the taste and strange sensation as it coats your tongue if you try it the first time.

The oral probiotic I tried was S. Salivarus K12, but I think I will switch to a different multi strain blend, there is one by Sedona Labs called iFlora that I have been wanting to try.