1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."
In 2012, Maya, who had tried to cope with ME/CFS on her own for many years, attended a pain management centre in Wales, U.K., and is now able to achieve more through pacing and acceptance, than she had been able to before the course...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Oil Pulling (Ayurvedic Technique) for Oral and Sinus Issues...

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Wayne, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    BBC News article:
    Coconut oil could combat tooth decay
    BBC News 3 September 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19435442

This article describes research in which coconut oil, broken down with enzymes, was found to reduce oral bacteria, and fungal growth.
    It looks like they might have had oil pulling in mind for this research.
    I should think that any oil might get broken down a bit with the enzymes in saliva, when doing oil pulling.
    merylg, Wayne and GcMAF Australia like this.
  2. GcMAF Australia

GcMAF Australia Senior Member

merylg likes this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Interesting! So I guess consuming raw coconut oil (not just holding it in the mouth?) would have an anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial effect in the gut? I eat the stuff and use it instead of body lotion (I live in a super-dry area). Wonder what a therapeutic "dose" would be?

Earlier someone posted an article on coconut oil and brain function (also helpful it said).

I wonder if you can absorb the "good stuff" through the skin? Thoughts?

Sushi
    GcMAF Australia likes this.
  4. GcMAF Australia

Sushi
    i would say absolutely.
    It is sort of like spraying fertiliser onto plant leaves.
    Also there is some science on sulfonated cholesterol and sulphonated vitamin D which are formed in skin.
    Also i think maybe other organs and skin are like interconnected, they evolved from the same ancestor.
    Sort of like the skin is a "blood vessel that has a flat shape with one side open to the air"
    Whereas most medical people look at them differently.
    i sometimes use liquid vitamin D on skin, nose.
    thinking that maybe could spray into lungs.
    There are heaps of medical topical sprays and patches.
    Also the possibility of enhancers which increase permeability., almond oil is one (probably coconut oil as well)
    I am thinking of trying these things on balding patches for men, also for inflammation bags under eyes
    and eyesight.
    had some successes with topical applications
    SickOfSickness and GracieJ like this.
  5. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Thanks!

A bunch of us nebulize things we want to get into the lungs--like glutathione. Wonder if you could safely do it with Vit D?

Sushi
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I have in my notes (without attribution) that 10 - 20 ml of coconut oil twice daily is often helpful for brain fog and hypoglycemia. For those of us in the U.S., that is 2 - 4 tsp. This is due to the medium-chain fatty acids. I have also read the medium-chain fatty acids are a good energy source for the heart. I do not know what effect that dose would have on gut microbes.
  7. GcMAF Australia

Interesting point Sushi
    So CFS people have problems with lungs then?
    hhmm
    One of my points about vitamin D is that naturally the flow is usually from skin to other parts.
    To me it is unnatural to eat vitamin D as in tablets. Also need good blood flow to get to lungs
    • What safety studies have been done with other inhalations? probably none or minimal.
    • I cant see why not, maybe using low doses to test
    • People inhale diesel fumes, eucalytus oil, essential oils, fragrances, pollution etc etc: so why would vitamin D be more dangerous??
    To me doctors and med researchers dont know a lot of things (me too, but at least i am asking some questions)
    I have used vitamin d
    • in nose for infection (suspect strep),
    • on skin for cancer with Tee tree oil
    • under eyes for inflammation (partial success)
    • looking at it for hair loss
  8. GcMAF Australia

i think monolauren which is a fatty acid
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Interesting ideas about the natural flow of Vitamin D.

CFS patients may not have more lung problems than other populations, but nebulizing is one way to take medications/nutrients that bypasses the digestive tract.

I know some of us have tried nebulizing reduced (buffered) glutathione together with hydrox B12 to form the compound glutathionylcobalamin in order to protect B12 from being gobbled up dealing with toxins.

Sushi
  10. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    What are some kinds of things we should be replacing while doing this sort of thing (oil pulling, clay foot baths)? I had my first clay foot bath last night and it's given a boost to my energy and clarity, but I will be taking it slowly and want to replace anything benficial that may be drawn out as well. I'm not very knowledgeable at this sort of thing. I imagine chelation would present the same problem.
  11. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Christopher, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've heard a person should be sure to get plenty of minerals to replace those that may be chelated out using clay therapy. I take a Standard Process "kelp/greens" product called Min-Tran, plus a separate product of just wheat grass tablets. I've often thought I should perhaps do more, and have been meaning to review a thread here about making your own homemade electrolyte drinks. I suspect this would be a good adjunct for anybody with ME/CFS, as it t seems many of us are low on minerals, whether or not we do clay therapy, oil pulling, saunas, or anything else that could deplete minerals from the body.

Congratulations on your first clay foot bath going so well for you. I've gotten away from them for a few months (along with a number of other things), but your post has me thinking I need to get refocused on doing them again. They always consistently give me an energy boost; unfortunately, it takes energy and effort to get it all done. -- I'll be interested to hear how you're doing with them these days, and whether you continue to have good results.

Best, Wayne
  12. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I've been becoming increasingly concerned (have already been concerned a lot) about possible oral infections. So I just this morning started adding a few drops of essential oils (thieves blend) to my oil pulling regimen. My hope is that if I do have some kind of chronic infections going on, these oils could seep deep into it and perhaps reduce and/or eliminate them. I suspect tea tree oil might also be effective. Anybody got any other suggestions? -- Thanks.
  13. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I've had some luck with the Tooth and Gums Tonic from the Dental Herb Company. It used to require a dentist's prescription, but it looks like there are some places you can buy it online now. It's really strong stuff -- knocked out a candida infection I just couldn't shake.
    Wayne likes this.
  14. Ian

Ian Senior Member

Wayne likes this.
  15. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Sunflower oil is high in Omega 6 which might not be good if you're limiting that. There is something called high oleic sunflower oil which is low in omega 6 and high in omega 9 (which is supposed to be good). Olive oil is another good choice because it is low in omega 6 and high in omega 9. I also read that olive oil increases glutathione production (not sure how much though). I don't like the taste of olive oil and was hoping to use coconut oil since I already have a lot of that, but I have amalgams so I guess it's not a good idea.
  16. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Coconut oil has caprylic acid which is antimicrobial, antibacterial, and also used to kill candida. According to one supplement manufacturer, 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil contains around 1000 mg caprylic acid. However, MCT Oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride) which is made from palm and/or coconut oil has around 8000 mg of caprylic acid in a Tablespoon. I've also read about people taking coconut oil and MCT oil for weight loss.
    Another Ayurvedic healing method is giving your entire body (including the scalp and ears) an oil massage. I'm not sure if this is to absorb the "good stuff" though. Ingesting oil or applying it externally as a massage is supposed to aid in detoxification. They also make herbalized oils that are supposed to increase absorption of the herbs. Besides taking the herbalized oil orally, they also snort the oils in the nasal cavities (preferably after using a neti pot) or use the oils for an enema:whistle:
  17. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I didn't notice much from oil pulling. I only did it for a few weeks. I'm going to try the clay foot bath!

Tea tree sounds really good to me. I might try that too. Make sure you test it and dilute it enough, because I know undiluted it has a burning tingling feel on my skin.

Peppermint, spearmint, and almond oil are commonly used and I saw clove oil too.
  18. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Grapefruit seed extract is antibacterial. Or if you want to do something specific to Ayurveda you could try neem oil. Some Neem oil is for external use only, but I've seen at least one that can be used internally. If you're just using it for the mouth it might not matter though. Neem is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic, and antiparasitic. I should warn you though, I've heard that neem is very bitter. Not sure about GSE. In Ayurveda and elsewhere, bitter herbs tend to have strong cleansing and healing properties. Andrographis and goldenseal come to mind.
  19. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Lotus97

With grapefruit seed extract there is the possibility of interaction with medications. If I use it I take it many hours apart from medications.

Sushi
    cph13 likes this.
  20. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Because grapefruit is a cytochrome P450 inhibitor? If that's the case then some medications can take a day or longer to clear the system. Your medication might be short acting, but if anyone's taking Prozac it's half life is at least 2-3 days and can take over a week to clear the system. Of course on the plus side, P450 inhibitors also increase the potency of your supplements. Bioperene is added to many supplements to "enhance absorption", but this is partially because it's a P450 inhibitor. I've been taking coenzyme q10 that has bioperene added to it, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take it or not. This is something I've been struggling with ever since learning about CYP450. Even if a person isn't taking any prescription drugs, taking P450 inhibitors can reduce your body's ability to detoxify. We are all exposed to hazardous chemicals such as xenoestrogens (also natural estrogens) and our bodies are constantly trying to eliminate them partially with the P450 enzymes. BTW, males also have plenty of naturally produced estrogen that can be toxic if not metabolized properly. This from Rich

See more popular forum discussions.