• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oil of Oregano

kurt

u&iraok,
Those are all good bitter herbs. Out of that list, I like Olive Leaf Extract best from that list and have taken it for many years, whenever I have viral symptoms. Seems to have anti-viral properties, and helps me sleep better when I take it at night. Oregano, GSE, Olive Leaf Extract, and Colloid Silver, those are the ones that have helped me the most, also sometimes garlic. But ginger is good for calming an upset stomach, and eucalyptus of course for nasal inflammation.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Cloves can be used to kill parasites and bacteria in the gut. Ginger and cinnamon are also anti-viral, though not as potent as some of the bitter herbs, but good to put into the mix with them to balance and warm the "coldness" of the bitters.

u&iraok

Regarding GSE I was all for it until I began digging deeper to find more about its properties, that explains quite well that GSE active ingredient is an harmful synthetic chemicals, despite being an antiseptic. Chlorox is one too and you wouldn't put it in your body.

http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.../the-truth-about-grapefruit-seed-extract.html

Thanks for posting this about GSE. Well, this is depressing. I had heard something negative about it, but not the details.

The big controversy that's been going on for years with Grapefruit Seed Extract lies in its potential to be contaminated with benzalkonium chloride, parabens, and triclosan. Numerous studies have tested samples of commercially produced GSE and found these contaminants to be present.

Right now, Citricidal is actually made from organic grapefruit. But, whether it's organic grapefruit or not, the extract is still going to contain diphenol hydroxybenzene. But how did this company get a GSE that was certified organic, it being a synthetic chemical? Well, notice that the certifying body isn't the USDA, by the Soil Association.

You've got to have the USDA seal certified organic.

The problem that I see with diphenol hydroxybenzene is the fact that on a molecular level, it's full of benzene rings. The name "diphenol" means that there are two phenol groups. Phenol is a benzene ring with one hydrogen and one oxygen molecule. Chemicals with benzene rings are particularly worrisome in personal care products because once they enter the bloodstream they can mimic the hormone estrogen.

Anything with benzene, forget it.

u&iraok

u&iraok,
Those are all good bitter herbs. Out of that list, I like Olive Leaf Extract best from that list and have taken it for many years, whenever I have viral symptoms. Seems to have anti-viral properties, and helps me sleep better when I take it at night. Oregano, GSE, Olive Leaf Extract, and Colloid Silver, those are the ones that have helped me the most, also sometimes garlic. But ginger is good for calming an upset stomach, and eucalyptus of course for nasal inflammation.

That's what ginger is primarily known for these days, but it's antimicrobial. A lot of the oils and other constituents in ginger--limonene, camphene, linalool, nerol, geraniol, zingaberene, b-bisabolene etc, are antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral. Also:

Antibacterial activity of [10]-gingerol and [12]-gingerol isolated from ginger rhizome against periodontal bacteria.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18814211

(Interestingly, ginger is also anti-inflammatory and is used for joint problems and even M.S.)

The same is true of the many different types of eucalyptus:

Immune-Modifying and Antimicrobial Effects of Eucalyptus Oil and Simple Inhalation Devices
www.altmedrev.com/publications/15/1/33.pdf

(Oh, yeah, Dreambirdie, I forgot Cloves and Cinnamon. ...And Black Walnut. Interesting about balancing the coldness of the bitters.)

Nielk

So far, I am seeing some improvement with taking 3 capsues a day of the oil of oregano (mixed with olive oil).
I'm also using am electric personal steamer which is very soothing and brings some relief.