• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OH MY GOSH!!!!! Help with stocking question SO SICK

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
As you all know, I bought the knee high compression hose. They are great now that they are a bit stretched and not so tight now. I like them. I told you I ordered the full sized. I thought I should at least try getting some.

Well, they arrived today. After my husband came home I took a nap, then put them on. IT WAS HARD. They are the least of the strengths too!

I was happy, I thought they would help me.... GUESS AGAIN. I immediatly felt like my eyes were being pushed from the SOCKETS. I also felt like I was being pulled DOWN. THEN, just a few minutes passed and got terribly, terribly ill with OI. My POTS has gotten so much better, I forgot how HORRID I used to feel.

Hubby helped me rip off the stockings and he got the w.chair and got me in bed. :In bed:I was so scared I had done something to ruin my progress and I would be sick forever. I had to lie very still. Finally I could get up and get to my chair,he made dinner and I am better, but my eyes still hurt.

NOW... what happened? I do not have low blood pressure with my POTS. Did this cause it to go high? I couldn't take it, too sick, plus I didn't think of it until I felt better.

:eek:Was it just a shock to my system to have so much blood all of the sudden? I have not heard of this.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
It may have been too high for what your use to, it would be interesting to take a bloodpressure standing with them on and off, also one lying down with on and off.
I wasnt sure what was coming in the start of the 4 paragraph u wrote as hubby was helping u rip them off, lol, i thought u must have been feeling alot better.

cheers!!!

Merry

Wow. What an extreme reaction. Never experienced anything like this myself (began using support socks and stockings years before I knew about ME/CFS or POTS) nor have I heard of this response in others.

Sorry, Sally. If you get an explanation from the manufacturer or a doctor - or come up with your own - please post.

ukxmrv

Sally, could it have been a post exertional hit after putting them on?

I find that a problem when trying any sort of compression garment. Putting on anything that I have to roll, pull or make an effort causing an immediate hit and I am wobbly, shaking afterwards because of the exertion.

Sallysblooms

uk, I thought that at first, but I got WAY too ill for that. At least for me. I do not react that violently ill with exertion.

Hubby and I think it was a LOT of blood going to my head and possibly raised my bp. My blood pressure is not low. I might ask my doctor. I know the compression hose work great for many people. The brand was Jobst, good brand. I will continue to use my knee highs. Thank goodness I am fine today.

My hubby also reminded me I never react to anything like other people, ha. It is so true. It was so odd.

Tia

I suspected it wouldn't be good, really. I've heard that anything that sits to tight on the body can cause a blod cloat, so I'm careful with that, my grannie taught me that. I wear normal tubesocks myself, nothing either too tight or too loose, (hate too loose clothes) and it seems just fine. :) Think I'd panic with such tight stockings actually..

So gurls: Rip it off and feeeel the freedom! :D

Sallysblooms

They are actually there to prevent blood clots. They do a lot of good for people. Just not me. I love my knee highs so I guess that is the only help I will be able to get. They help a lot of people with POTS. I just wish I could do it.

taniaaust1

I suspected it wouldn't be good, really. I've heard that anything that sits to tight on the body can cause a blod cloat, so I'm careful with that, my grannie taught me that. I wear normal tubesocks myself, nothing either too tight or too loose, (hate too loose clothes) and it seems just fine. :) Think I'd panic with such tight stockings actually..

So gurls: Rip it off and feeeel the freedom! :D

With POTS there is blood pooling in the legs and abdomen, hence why they need to be so firm to stop that pooling. When this pooling is happening, the blood isnt getting to the brain good (hence then why POTS people need to lay down and are intollerant of standing).

Sally.. I havent heard anyone say of that happening before, so thanks for sharing.

I want to try some of those stockings hopefully soon, I dont get low BP usually either (except when im laying down asleep) , my BP is often shooting up sky high, so it makes me wonder how I will go with compression stockings.

Sallysblooms

Tania, It doesn't happen much. I have found that it does happen though. Just put them on slowly, stand up slowly and be aware. If you feel badly take them off right away. I just had no idea it would happen, pretty awful stuff. They work for a lot of people.