• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Official WPI response to the Singh study

eric_s

I think this approach might be more productive for making other people rich and hurting one's own body :eek: But it's a personal choice, of course.

I believe we should primarily make sure the good research progresses as fast as possbile and once they really understand ME/CFS and have a treatment that works reliably it will probably be for free in many countries.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
After reading it more it seems to be saying that there is more variability in XMRV and we can prove it. In fact we think we already did with that early GenBank sample. (However Coffin and Hue disagree). Except for the idea of using a human isolate it doesn't really attempt to explain Dr. Singh's results. The new GenBank samples will be very welcome...

Dr. Singh stated that she did use the WPI's assay -but they didn't point out what she might have done wrong which kept her from finding at least some positive samples. They point that they did find VP62-like XMRV in their population - which suggests that even if Singh didn't find 67% of samples positive - she should have found something....I think based on this response you could argue that Dr. Singh could have found more XMRV (by using a human isolate) but can't explain why she didn't find anything.

Bob

After reading it more it seems to be saying that there is more variability in XMRV and we can prove it. In fact we think we already did with that early GenBank sample. (However Coffin and Hue disagree). Except for the idea of using a human isolate it doesn't really attempt to explain Dr. Singh's results. The new GenBank samples will be very welcome...

Dr. Singh stated that she did use the WPI's assay -but they didn't point out what she might have done wrong which kept her from finding at least some positive samples. They point that they did find VP62-like XMRV in their population - which suggests that even if Singh didn't find 67% of samples positive - she should have found something....I think based on this response you could argue that Dr. Singh could have found more XMRV (by using a human isolate) but can't explain why she didn't find anything.

I do agree that it is all inexplicable!