• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Off of methylation and on low sulfur diet, but sulfur is rising??

BadBadBear

The shorter version:

My doc (integrative MD) went over my 23&me results and put me on a 2-week low sulfur diet, which includes being off of methylation supps. I've been on methylation for ~18 months, and was pretty scared about going off of them.

I am through the first week, though I didn't completely quit m-folate until today - I had been taking a half tab. I also have been having a little bit of sulfur food, some cheese, cream for my Teechino, and a bit of chocolate. Otherwise, behaving as well as I can. I am taking some H-B12. I had planned to get completely off of sulfur food this week before re-testing my homocysteine level later in the week (it has been a bit low at 5.0).

Anyway, the interesting thing is my sulfur level is actually going up. I started at 'below 200' on my test strips before the sulfur elimination diet started, then went to somewhere between 200 and 400 while I was still taking the small dose of m-folate, and tonight I'm at 800.

What does this mean?? Why is sulfur building up while I'm eating very little of it? Does this mean that methylation was helpful to me, or that I was overmethylated & dumping sulfur??

The last couple days, I have started to have a really bad reaction to things - flu like symptoms, the feeling of a crash coming on, anxiety, etc. Today was really, really rough.

If someone could explain to me my seemingly paradoxical reaction to sulfur, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Michelle

Critterina

Do you think that your sulfur level is building up, or maybe that you're getting rid of some reserves? My thoughts:

1. Are you off ALL supplements? Maybe there is some sulfur lurking somewhere, just showing up now.
2. Are you getting enough protein that you're not catabolizing muscle? That would be like eating protein, wouldn't it?

Hoping your flu-like symptoms are just a mild virus passing through. I had that this week myself.

Sorry not to be of more help.

BadBadBear

I have nooooo idea what is going on, honestly, Critterina. I don't think it is sulfur reserves, because I had done an elimination about 4 weeks ago without going off of my methyl supps, and my sulfur level consistently tested below 200 then. I also checked my serum ammonia level and it was really low. After my first round of elimination diet, I didn't really feel like eating many sulfur foods so I've been pretty low on it for a good month. No eggs, crucifers, coffee, etc.

1. I am not off of all supplements - still taking C, mag., very basic B complex (no folic acid or B12 in it), cod liver oil, D, E, P-5-P, HB12, potassium. Most of these were recommended as part of the diet I am on. I don't think any of these should cause sulfur issues. I did stop taking ALA for this.

2. Protein is an issue, I think I am getting around 75 g per day which should be sufficient. However, right now grass-fed beef which is normally a staple for me smells horrid, and I am not wanting to eat much meat. I am adding some gelatin to my broth for extra protein. Both meat and vegetables just don't sound good. No idea why. If it's a virus, that could explain lack of appetite? Though usually when I am actually sick, I am truly hungry and I have no hunger at all this week.

I did wonder if the flu symptoms are viral. I don't have a runny nose or anything, and my temperature has been somewhat depressed - around 97.0 each time I've taken it. I feel hot at times, though. It's also possible that its a reactivated virus. I get swollen glands and mild fluey symptoms any time I'm stressed. This seems worse than normal, though.

Victronix

B-12 has a wide variety of roles, including immune function, and is used to treat things like acute cyanide poisoning. It's possible that stopping it would lead to issues like illness and anxiety -- I know for me I had terrible anxiety when I stopped suddenly due to side effects. Maybe the methylators have a role in sulfur metabolism somehow, or your body's response to it? The only way to know would be to get back on them, I suppose, or wait and see if the sulfur levels just change on their own.

I personally would be very concerned about stopping methylation just to deal with sulfur and would want a good explanation that was widely accepted.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Doesn't really sound like you have an issue with sulfur. From what I've read on here, and other forums, I think that 200 is considered to be a normal level. Most people, that do have a problem with sulfur, seem happy to get it down to between 400-800.

ahmo

Yes, I was going to raise both these questions, my response was still here as a draft. I decided to refrain, thought maybe I was way off base....

I started at 'below 200' on my test strips
Then what's the sulfur problem?? Unless these strips are very different from those I had:confused: And why off folate? sorry, maybe I don't need to know....

BadBadBear

Thank you. I think she said something about seeing if my homocysteine will go up toward normal if I am on less sulfur, and also if my body dumps sulfur (causing low sulfur) because of too many methyl groups? But my understanding is that just being off of m-folate and B12 will raise homocysteine in any event? So I don't see how this will prove that sulfur is causing my low homocysteine?? It seems like too many variables.

My results for this test so far are perhaps just showing that I possibly DID have sulfur issues before methylation. I just am not sure whether to stay the course on this for a week or to jump ship and start back on methylation. I'm really wanting to jump ship unless there is some possible true improvement to be made

FWIW, at the end of the two weeks I am supposed to carefully titrate my m-folate back up.

BadBadBear

Hahaha. I gave up and ate 1600 mcg m-folate and 2 mg of B12. I couldn't take it anymore.

For the mental symptoms, it was almost instant relief. Now to see if the flu-like stuff will ease up... I don't ever plan on going off of methyl supps again. That was horrid. I didn't realize how much they were doing for me.