• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Odd Skin issue from B12 (?)

I'm having good success -- finally -- with very gradually stepping my toe into getting my methylation cycle going, but a kink has appeared that is threatening to derail my progress. Here's the scoop...

I'm taking 500 mcg of methylB12 morning and night and have *just* begun to add in about 100 mcg of methylFolate. Meanwhile (this started before I added in the MFolate but is continuing/worsening) I've had odd patches forming on my skin -- some on my arms but mostly on my face, mainly around my eyes. The patches feel like there's some sort of thick/tough spot under the skin, and there's often a tiny hole/lesion in the middle, and the patches are irritable. I've read a similar description of such a thing -- even says "especially on the face" -- for what can happen from B12 toxicity. I've had this happen before when on B12, stopped B12 and it went away. ...but I *need* my B12! It's acutely obvious from trial and error that I need this nutrient. Can anyone hep me out? Is there some other supplement I'm lacking that if supplied would keep this from happening? (I do already take a little zinc, magnesium, and potassium each day. I know potassium can be an issue with startup, but I'm not having the typical symptoms I usually get when low in potassium...at least not in a big way that I would recognize.)

Appreciative for any advice,
OTC

alicec

1 mg B12 is not a big dose - it would certainly not be toxic. I'm not aware that there even is a toxic dose - extremely high doses have been given daily without ill effect.

You may not be taking enough folate. Try slowly increasing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm taking 500 mcg of methylB12 morning and night
Some of us tolerate hydroxycobalamin better than methyl. It will convert into the proportions of methyl and adenosylcobalamin that your body needs. I inject hydroxy but don't tolerate methyl. Just a thought.